Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:06 AM   #1

Default A life in pictures

My little bro Scampy recently passed away at the good age of 15. Still 50 years too short of a life IMO but still a great life for a dog.

We are finally getting to the stage where we can talk openly about him and his life, and the photos came out the other night.

It was quite humbling to think you can know someone for their entire life from being a baby/puppy right through to old age, watching them grow, develop and become an individual in their own right.

A lot of the photos are terrible as we were kids taking them with crappy instant cameras, but i think that adds to the charm. Im hoping to add a few more as i discover more in our archive of photos in storage.

less than 6 weeks old, toilet training begins.

Adolesence, getting used to a collar. not happy!

Hunting birds! He could put any cat to shame. Comming home from school you cold be presented with any number of rabbits, rats, birds, mice and other assorted animals! He would look up wtih a big smile (well at least it looked like a smile) , as if to say " look what i done!!!"

He was quite playfull and didnt mind human type of fun!

Towards the end he done a lot of sleeping in front of the stove.

In his prime. Atop our steps after a day up the fields hunting! The way he is remembered.

There are a few more photos, many with family members i didnt want to post just yet as they are quite personal and his passing is still a bit raw. Just wanted to get started on this to help stop mourning him and start celebrating his awesome little life.

Thanks for looking.
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:48 AM   #2

My sincerest sympathies go out to you. After almost two years of our Abby passing away, I still find it really difficult to look at her photos (of which there are many) without choking up. And, although I really miss having that kind of companionship in my life, I can't bring myself to get another because I don't think my heart could stand another loss like that. It would surely break.
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjtoth View Post
My sincerest sympathies go out to you. After almost two years of our Abby passing away, I still find it really difficult to look at her photos (of which there are many) without choking up. And, although I really miss having that kind of companionship in my life, I can't bring myself to get another because I don't think my heart could stand another loss like that. It would surely break.

Thanks gjtoth. I agree with you on that. I was quite misty eyed putting up these, but its all part of the process. I even debated not putting up a christmas tree as i just dont feel much like celebrating this year.

I was in the dog park over the weekend and it was nice watching all the dogs play and have fun. I thought it would affect me badly but it didnt, as none of those dogs were my dog.

I also thought about when we would consider getting another dog, but currently i feel that i had a dog, my dog, and he's gone now. He cant be replaced. It wouldnt be fair to another dog just yet, as he would have some pretty gigantic paws to fill, which he couldnt live up to.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:58 PM   #4

Sorry for your loss of your special friend. Having had to say goodbye to two of my special friends I know how hard it can be.

Looking at your shots I see a very happy and a much loved dog. You gave him the life he deserved.

jj

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:03 AM   #5

I also thought about when we would consider getting another dog, but currently i feel that i had a dog, my dog, and he's gone now. He cant be replaced. It wouldnt be fair to another dog just yet, as he would have some pretty gigantic paws to fill, which he couldnt live up to.

Very sorry for your loss. As someone who has also been where you are, I avoided committing my heart to another dog for 14 years, a decision I now regret. What is a reasonable time to mourn the loss of a loved pet? I don't know, but I know we need animals in our lives, and they need us. I wish you the best.

My Flickr
-Robert-

Hawgwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:43 AM   #6

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

schmintan,

Want to be a part of this great thread before it disappears. This Nova Scotia Duck-Tolling Retriever is very old. She doesn't play anymore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_Sc...ling_Retriever

Torgny
Attached Images

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Last edited by Torgny; Jan 3, 2012 at 5:28 PM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:52 AM   #7

She is absolutely beautiful Torgny. Enjoy your time together, its all too short.
She may not play, but she enhances life in so many other ways.

Just finished first christmas without Scamp. Was very very odd. Not as bad as i expected but not awesome either.

I found myself throwing ham, turkey etc on the ground and walking away at times, completely not thinking that nobody would eat it!

My mum when carving up the turkey also was throwing bits on the ground as she expected they would be gobbled up!

At one stage even someone walked past me and their handbag brushed against my leg and i was certain for 1 second it was my dog!!! I also could still hear him bark in the morning to get out to go to the toilet!

the mind is a very strange thing!

Thanks for your post and for sharing!
Old Jan 12, 2012, 10:24 PM   #8

no word to say...It's quite difficult when your lovable pet left you. its like loosing a very special friend.