Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:55 PM   #1

Default Critics wanted

I just got a Canon Rebel T3 for Christmas and I'm still trying to figure out all the different buttons and features but I thought I'd post some photos I took today and see what you all thought?

Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:56 PM   #2

Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:29 PM   #3

Default Shoot at eye level & think about distance to subject

When shooting a short subject such as a dog or a child, it's usually a good idea to get your camera eye level with the subject. In the photos of the dogs, it's obvious that you're standing tall, and shooting downward at the dog(s).

Your photos are likely to be more interesting and certainly more proportional if you shoot at eye level.

Second, let's say a dog is 3 feet long, and you're shooting the dog from 2 feet away. That means the dogs face is 2 feet away and the tail is 5 feet away. That means the face is 150% closer to you than his tail. That can make for some odd looking photos because of the proportional distance.

However, if you were 10 feet away, then the face is 10 feet away and the tail is 13 feet away, you're now down to about a 30% difference, which isn't great, but is much better than 150%. Being farther away, and zooming in will aid in delivering good photos.

Hope you're having fun with your new camera.
FaithfulPastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:23 PM   #4

Minus one photo, I was actually sitting down taking the photos. But thank you for the advice, I'm here to take in everything you all say!
Thank you!
It's all a learning experience and quite difficult to take photos of fast dogs. I hope one day I can get better and clear shots.
:]
Old Jan 14, 2012, 12:08 AM   #5

No. 4 needs a caption . . .
Nikon D600, D90, D70, N90s, FM2, Canon S3 1S, Panasonic FZ35; Nikon 18-105 VR, 28-70 2.8 Sigma, 35-70 Nikkor, 70-200 2.8 Sigma, 70-300 4-5.6 Sigma, 85 1.8D Nikkor, 55-300 4-5.6 Nikkor, Sigma 17-50 2.8.
Franko170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 8:26 PM   #6

When an animal is the subject you usually want to have some room in front of them; gives the feeling of space for them to move into. Especially in the second set that you posted the dogs are looking right at the edge of the picture. Here's how I'd crop one of them.
Attached Images

Last edited by TomH in PA; Jan 16, 2012 at 8:30 PM.
TomH in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2012, 11:45 PM   #7

Franko - I'm horrible with captions. I have no idea except that ball was something they all really wanted. haha

TomH - Thank you! I will very much keep that in mind when taking photos in the future.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 11:50 AM   #8

#2 and #5 of the first post are awesome. nice portraits! real carachter comming through!

Great pics of great dogs!
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:09 PM   #9

I think you did well. I photograph dogs for an animal shelter and I know it's not easy getting great shots of dogs in motion, but most of these are pretty good. I don't agree with Faithful that it looks like you're standing tall and shooting down on the dogs. You're pretty well at their level for most. Good job!
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote