Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Feb 12, 2004, 4:31 PM   #1

Default Some cat pictures

I guess I should have read bcoultry's post before taking the pictures, oh well.
Just a couple words of warning. I am very new to photography in general. I have just recently gotten a Panasonic DMC-FZ10 (which I used to take the pictures) and that is the first digital camera that I have used that has full manual settings, so I still haven't quite learned all the features.

Both were taken handheld (stabilization on, mode 2 for those people who care) in rather dim lighting and the built in flash was on. Both shots are F4.6, 1/60, and ISO50. They were both taken at about 160mm (in 35mm equiv). I had to zoom in because if I moved closer to the subject I would: A. annoy the cat. And B. make the lense block a bit of the flash

They are completely unedited (except for resizing).

http://www.6feettogo.com/tempphotos/Cat2.JPG (for slightly larger ones, but not full size)
And another one

http://www.6feettogo.com/tempphotos/Cat.JPG (for slightly larger ones, but not full size)

I was taking a lot of pictures, hence the reason the cat's paw is over its eyes. I try moving the cat around a bit, but each time it would insist that its paw was over its eyes.

Tell me what you think of them, and which one is better (be as honest as you want). And any suggestions that will make it better?
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 12, 2004, 6:27 PM   #2

I prefer the second one, purely because the nose is uncovered, the first one looks a little chaotic with the rear paws up under the chin like that.

On the other hand, the second one loses focus a little towards the top of the picture...

Both are lovely shots in my opinion..
PlatinumWeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 7:04 PM   #3

I prefer the second photo also because of the simplicity of line and the way it all leads to that little pink nose.

Did you sharpen these photos at all? I'm seeing what looks like a little too much sharpening, but maybe it's an effect created by the flash bouncing off the fur.

Any cat other than an orange tabby would have gotten up and stalked away from that annoying human with the bright light. Something about those orange tabbies...they tend to take the easiest route toward comfort. "Get up? Not on your seventh life! I'll just slide my paw up here a bit."
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 8:30 PM   #4

I wouldn't think either one would be an award winner, since we're looking mostly at fur, but speaking of fur, it's got lots of sharp detail, and that cute pink nose. I personally prefer the first photo, due to the ear sticking out at right into that expanse of nice red tartan. Looks very warm!
8)
Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2004, 8:48 PM   #5

I personally prefer the second one also. I did not add any sharpening on the computer, although I did have the sharpness to the highest setting on the camera (at least I think I did). And some lines might look a bit sharp because of the resizing.

I noticed the out of focus part of the second picture also, however as I didn't want to get up and get a tripod and as I didn't have access to more lighting (all the lights were already turned on), I couldn't set the aperture much higher without having blur.

Quote:
Any cat other than an orange tabby would have gotten up and stalked away from that annoying human with the bright light. Something about those orange tabbies...they tend to take the easiest route toward comfort. "Get up? Not on your seventh life! I'll just slide my paw up here a bit."
You can say that again, that cat was on there for hours.
I tried having the anti-redeye preflash to get the cats attention before the picture was really taken, and thus having a interesting "candid" picture. But the cat refused to look up when the preflash happened.
blinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 6:17 AM   #6

Quote:
I did have the sharpness to the highest setting on the camera
Drop it down to "normal," and if you're good at using your software's sharpening tools, drop down further to no in-camera sharpening at all. That way, sharpening where and how much is your choice, not the camera's.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 8:51 AM   #7

I too prefer the second image

It sort of looks like the cat is saying oh no not another peopleratzi taking my famous picture.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2004, 9:09 AM   #8

Being a fan of most furry animals, I like both pictures. The ear is nice in the first and seeing the full nose is great in the second.

Mine also likes to cover her head/eyes with her paws when she sleeps. Always wondered why. I mean, should I be offering her the kitty equivalent of the eye covers use by many on airlines?

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote