Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Feb 19, 2004, 12:47 AM   #1

Default Calico

Jack Nickelless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 21, 2004, 11:57 AM   #2

So, Jack, now you're going to start torturing me just like Dale (Cowboy) does? I want this cat.

I love the softness of the photo and the well-blended vignette you added. This one's a winner.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 2:00 AM   #3

Barbara, thanks for the compliments of the photo. Alot of people don't like a soft photo, but I do. I wish you had this cat Barbara. At least I would know she was alive and safe. Let me tell you a little story. I have never had children, but I did have a dog that was so intelligent, so loyal, and so loving, I loved her as much any anyone has ever loved their own child. Her name was Lacy, a miniature spitz.

After 12 years of devotion, she died before my eyes. I was crushed, and made a promise to myself to never own another dog. I felt like I lost a child, and I will never suffer that pain again. It's been 3 years since she died, and several people have offered me dogs, but I have stuck to my promise. It's a hard promise to keep though, because I love animals. Anyway, I burried Lacy at the back of my property and made her a headstone.

A few months after Lacy's death, I was outside with my camera when I noticed this calico cat at Lacy's grave.

She wouldn't let me get too close to her, but she kept hanging around, so I started feeding her. In time, she would come up to me while I was pouring her food and let me pet her as she ate. She would never let me closer than that though. In fact, from time to time as I was petting her, she would hiss, slap me a few times, bringing blood, and quickly run off. I think it was her way of helping me keep my promise of not getting too attached. She got to where she would greet me every night when I got home from work, waiting for her food. She was know simply as "Kitty Cat" by the way. Well, she stopped greeting me about 3 months ago, and I haven't seen her since. So, I don't know, but I'm afraid she must have got killed. So, that is why I wish you had this cat now. Barbara, you may recall a dog pic I posted a while back that is a neighborhood dog around where I work. She stops in from time to time, and I feed her. A few months ago though, a cat showed up at work, and for some reason he came right to me, even though I've seen him run from other people. I started feeding him, and now he lives in a storage area in the back of the building where I work. I keep him food and water back there. He is totally the opposite from that calico. I have never seen a tamer cat. I can pull his tail, rub his belly, pick him up any old way, and he has never offered to scratch me. I don't know why I'm adding him to this story, other than thinking that no matter what promise I made myself about not owning a pet, they keep finding me anyway.

To be honest Barbara, I don't really know why I told any of this to you, other than I sense an appreciation of people's conversation as well as their photos. Anyway, I apologize to anyone having to read through this, that was just wanting to look at some pics.
Old Feb 22, 2004, 7:56 AM   #4

Jack, private message is on the way...
Old Feb 22, 2004, 9:36 AM   #5

Jack Thanks for sharing, I can relate to your story seeing two of my dogs Bandit, and Libby, both hit by a car and Die in my arms. I thought the same thing, But my life was to empty without "My Dogs" Now We are back To 3 and never regretted it. I agree ,My wife and I have no children so our pets are very dear to us, I comend you on taking care of the "Strays" we have a few cats on the place that have wondered in and are more than welcome. So thanks again.
cowboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 9:43 AM   #6

Jack

I understand how you feel but I hope you break your promise and get another dog. Lacy loved you and she would want you to be happy and be a good Father to another dog that need a loving home.
chuck biddinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2004, 10:07 AM   #7

See, Jack? These men are right. Combine what they just said and what I said to you in a private message, and then go to the local animal shelter. A lonely little soul is there right now, waiting, and it knows your name.
Old Feb 22, 2004, 2:20 PM   #8

I appreciate the understanding and kind thoughts guys.
Old Feb 25, 2004, 1:51 PM   #9

Or "Tortoiseshell" as we call them this side of the pond. My friend Smuge was just sitting on a cushion minding her own busines when I was playing with the new lens on my D300, the result...
ccomley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 2:05 PM   #10

Oh, another puddy-tat. All you people who keep company with felines make me so envious!

I'm not sure, but I seem to remember reading that a calico has a lot more white mixed in than a tortoise shell does. I could be wrong. I often am.