Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:15 AM   #1

Default high speed sync

so i sold my d90 kit and used the money to buy a 18-200vrII
just been trying it out with my favorite model
i was also trying out using high speed flash, im getting some decent results but its more trial and error than skill
im quite liking the lens, seems like the reviews had a point, its a pretty good all rounder

kazuya is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:08 PM   #2
conor

How fast can you get that shutter speed on the D90 using HSS?
Are you using an external flash? If so, hot-shoe? TTL cable? PC cable? Wireless triggers?

Are you looking for any tips/tricks?
Old Feb 20, 2016, 11:13 AM   #3

hi conor im not using the D90 now, im using the D7200
im using the SB600 on camera and it will still works at shutter speeds of 1/4000.
the only thing that bothers me is that the flash has to be mounted on the camera to get it to work at those kinda speeds, if its off camera its limited to 1/250
im guessing id need some kind of wireless trigger to get it to work off cam
Old Feb 20, 2016, 9:26 PM   #4
conor

There are 2 ways of triggering an external flash: intelligently or not.

If you connect a PC-PC cord between the camera and flash (SB600 doesn't have a PC port, but you can get a hot-shoe adapter), you'll end up with a dumb flash: the camera that doesn't know anything about the flash, and thus the power must be set on the flash, the camera only triggers it (once). I use this for higher speed flash (though there are limitations with the shutter). I can sync my SB900 with my D50 body any speed I choose, but I won't get a proper image past about 1/800th with full power, and 1/1200 at half power (or less).

If you get a TTL-TTL cable, you can clip it to your hotshoe and to the bottom of the flash. This simply extends the hotshoe. You'll end up with an smart flash, the camera and your SB600 will communicate properly, and your "proper" method of HSS should work.

Something like this would suit you:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...mote_Cord.html

Edit: It's my opinion that everyone who uses a speedlight should have a TTL cable in their bag. There are endless effects that become possible when you can get your flash a few feet away from your camera.
Old Feb 21, 2016, 4:32 AM   #5

i did think about the cable but its the wireless bit that really appeals to me, i love the fact i can just plonk the flash down anywhere and take pics, its so convenient and great for indoor shots.
its such a shame high doesn't work off camera using wireless, well i say that, it does do 1/250 which is better than nothing
Old Feb 21, 2016, 11:07 AM   #6
conor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazuya View Post
i did think about the cable but its the wireless bit that really appeals to me, i love the fact i can just plonk the flash down anywhere and take pics, its so convenient and great for indoor shots.
its such a shame high doesn't work off camera using wireless, well i say that, it does do 1/250 which is better than nothing
I'd assume that the IR wireless system built into your camera body can't pass enough information to do HSS, but Pocket Wizards can do this properly:
http://www.pocketwizard.com/inspirat...y/fp_sync_hss/