Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Apr 17, 2004, 10:13 AM   #1

Default Cat Fishing

This could have been a reasonably good photo if I had a grey cat. By trying to get the exposure right on the reflection I blew out the details of the white cat. Any suggestions other than painting the cat?

Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 17, 2004, 10:18 AM   #2

hmm.......well as you can see the cat is too overblown to recover.....and it is because of the patchy light......
now i don't know if this is your house or cat...but i'd try to take this over again....coax(sp?) the cat over there again...with more solid light.....this situation was in a book that i borrowed from the library a while ago.....and he was saying that if you get in a situation like this try to wait for the sun to go into the clouds.....then shoot......

hopefully this helped

looks like it would be a great shot if it weren't for that little patch of sun.....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 12:10 PM   #3

A graduated filter might have helped. Also, you could have taken two shots, one exposing for the cat and one exposing for the reflections and then merged the two photos into one in Photoshop.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 1:45 PM   #4

i was wondering....after looking at it....i wonder if you can take the reflection and paste it on the cat.....just a thought.....
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 6:32 PM   #5

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try at a different time of day when I don't have that direct sunlight. The reflection may not be as strong but we'll just have to see what happens.

It's no problem getting the cat to pose. I feed the fish and she comes over to try to catch them. Silly cat!

The suggestion about two photos merged into one is quite a bit beyond my capabilities. I had a 60 day trial version of a Jasc Paint Shop on my new Dell computer that seemed to be able to do such things but it was much too advanced for me. When the time expired I removed it from my computer. I'm looking at Consumer Reports ratings of photo-editing programs which they rate by ease of use. One highly recommended basic program is Microsoft Picture It which they say sells for about $50. It has layering.

Has anyone used "Picture It" or do most of you consider it too basic? I really don't think I'll ever find the time to learn more advanced image manipulation programs. All I really need is a basic program that will do a few more things than the programs that came with my Epson and Minolta digicams.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote