Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old May 9, 2004, 2:12 PM   #1

I finally got him relaxing for a change. :-)

[line]

Images Of Blackburn http://homepage.ntlworld.com/angela.ashton3

Attached Images

jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2004, 6:30 AM   #2

how did you manage to exhaust him? i ve got a terrier as well and he stops moving only for the few hours he sleeps..
pavaros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 7:07 AM   #3

This was takenabout an hour before bed so he was winding down for the day. As you say Pavaros, terriers don't stay still for long. :-)
Old May 10, 2004, 10:09 AM   #4

The AKA split the breeds recently. The mean little things that look like rats with spots are still Jack Russells, but the long haired version is now a Parson Russell Terrier in the US.

The Parson Russell's are just as aggressive when you send them down a foxhole, but they seem a lot more mellow around people.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 10:35 AM   #5

You sound like you don't like jack russells slipe. :-)I have the long haired version and my sister has a short haired one. They are both softies, but my dog hates the staffy that lives next door and he goes mad to get at it. Just shows that he can be nasty when he wants. :-)

[line]

Camera - Canon Powershot A60

Images Of Blackburn - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/angela.ashton3

Old May 10, 2004, 12:52 PM   #6

I visited a friend last year who is an avid fox hunter. He will fly anywhere in the world that offers a good hunt. He has a Parson Russell named Spike. I asked what it was and was surprised to find it was a Jack Russell (he either hadn't heard of the name change in the US or it hadn't happened yet). Not only is the hair long but the body shape is different. He was an absolutely loveable little guy. My friend had brought his parents from GB.

We came home from dinner one night and the dog was not there to meet us. My friend has a large piece of property. We went out back and heard Spike barking off in the distance. There was a yelp and then silence. The yelp came from the large possum making the mistake of biting Spike. The silence came because Spike couldn't bark with a grip on the possum's throat. That possum was probably 3 times Spike's weight but it was no contest.

I was Spike's best friend for the rest of the visit because he thought I must have had something to do with bringing that possum for him. Tough little dog.

My friend says there are basically three different kinds of personalities in Jack Russells when they go in a hole after a fox – which is what Parson Russell bred them for. Some are good at flushing the fox. Most trap the foxes and some consistently kill the fox. They put a transponder on them when they hunt so they can locate them with an electronic gizmo and dig them out if they don't flush the fox. Spike was getting old enough to put down a fox hole and my friend thought he might be one that kills the fox based on his reaction to the possum.

The short haired Jack Russells seem to have a surly personality – at least with strangers. Personalities aside the long hairs seem to be a different breed, and the AKA separated them last year. In GB I think both dogs are officially Parson Russell and not Jack Russell unless they have also separated them. Your dog looks more like the dog that Reverend Russell bred for fox and badger hunting. I think the one now referred to as a Jack Russell was later mixed with a bull terrier.

Mike and Spike:

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 2:34 PM   #7

Nice story about Spike. I just took Simba out for a walk and i met an old guy who lives on our road. He has a Parsons jack russell and he said that his is the original jack russell which Reverend Russell ownedand mine which is smaller is the result of breeding years ago with the aim of creating the hunting dog. He also said that the parsons was recently allowed to enterCrufts dog show. I don't know how accurate his story is but his dog was definitely a taller version of mine. Thanks for showing us the picture of Spike, he looks like a great dog. :-)

[line]

Old May 10, 2004, 3:28 PM   #8

Another shot of Simba, this time after his walk. As you can see he is in need of a bath. :-)
[line]

Attached Images

Old May 11, 2004, 9:35 AM   #9

I am totally confused as to which breed my Jack russell is classed as now. Ive looked on web sites and the dogs Ive seen in USA appear to have longer legs and are more petite looking than my JTR. Is he a parsons or what:?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"here some shots, what do you think?????

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"note the short stocky legs:-)

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 9:38 AM   #10

I have no idea what this line that came up in my post is about:!:
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote