Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Jul 9, 2004, 7:00 PM   #1

My two siamese cats, Bushi and Meisha, are seven years old and have always lived indoors only. Since they sometimes enjoy watching wild mice that glean seed from below our bird feeder, I thought they could use some more up close and personal entertainment.

I got a small terrarium with a screen top, added a plexiglas lid so the cats couldn't get in or damage the screen. Then I added wood chips, a water bottle, food and grass, an exercise wheel (which is essential and very entertaining), some wood for climbing, a cardboard TP roll for sleeping, and three white "feeder" mice. Both our cats get hours of enjoyment watching the activity, and the mice are completely oblivious of the cats. Keeping the critters fed and the terrarium clean will take a bit of effort, but so far the entertainment value is worth it. Total cost for all of it was about $30.

Here's a photo of Bushi watching Stewart, Huey and Louie.

Cheers!

Hummer
Attached Images

Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2004, 8:16 PM   #2

You are one very dedicated cat owner! Bushi and Meisha have a stage show to watch whenever the spirit moves.

Bushi's profile says you'll have none of that new style Siamese. I love the classic form of the breed, and before I married a man who's allergic to cats, this was all I'd own. There was Sampan, Piewacket, Ahlmund, and Poppy. All were raucous, full of mischief, and hilarious, Poppy being the very worst of the bunch.

--Barbara
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 8:32 PM   #3

Man, Hummer, the look on Bushi's face is just golden!

What a tease you are, providingthe viewof such morsels to Bushi and Meisha,but not the way to actually get to them... :-)

(Can your cats also get easy viewing of all the hummingbirds that move through your property? I'd guess that those make them salivate also!!!!)
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 11:51 PM   #4

Barbara, this MTV (Mouse TV) is an experiment which so far seems successful. My concerns were: would the mice be frightened and stressed by the cats, and would the cats be too stressed by their inability to catch the mice. The mice seem unaware of anything beyond the terrarium. The cats continue to visit the terrarium regardless of where we put it, it's like entertainment television which they seek when they want it and can avoid when they choose. So far, so good.

My first cat, "Crisis", which I bought in 1972, lived to the ripe old age of 21 years! She was such a sweetie. When we decided to get two new Siamese cats, we looked long and hard for those traditional "apple head" Siamese. In all of Colorado, few were available and our two present cats are somewhat different, but not at all like those extreme abberations now being bred. I think the trend is to the detriment of the breed.

Geoff, the cats do watch the hummers, and Meisha, ever the huntress, chatters whenever the birds come near. We have a lot of large windows and a hummingbird feeder or two at nearly every one. Right now we have about 35 feeders out and soon will run 60 feeders for the southbound migration. With 2000+ hummers feeding here daily, I hope to get a photo opportunity or two. (To be seen in the Wildlife forum).

Hummer

Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 12:03 AM   #5

Hummer wrote:
Quote:
With 2000+ hummers feeding here daily, I hope to get a photo opportunity or two. (To be seen in the Wildlife forum).
That is just so amazing! I'll be looking forward to those hummingbird pictures, Hummer!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 3:19 PM   #6

Wow! If I see one hummingbird at the feeder once a week, I count myself lucky.

The breeders of Siamese cats have lost their sense of a feline's natural beauty.What's thepoint of purposely creating and promoting abberations? What other genes are being unknowingly altered while they inbreed these animals for no particularly good reason?
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 9:21 AM   #7

Be careful! In about 2 months, you'll have 30 mice. I had some mice. The produce VERY QUICKLY! 8)
Darrell1 is offline   Reply With Quote