Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Jul 19, 2004, 11:17 AM   #11

bcoultry wrote:
Quote:
I can't believe I fell into that (black) hole of "If I don't see it, it doesn't exist."
I think we all fall into that trap at various times.

And I'd love the ability to delete a post I've made that I've had second thoughts about too!
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 6:33 PM   #12

bcoultry wrote:
Quote:
That is only the second black squirrel I've seen in my entire life. Are they common in NYC?

--Barbara
I live in a very large building complex which has quite a few black squirrels, along with thegray & brownishvariety. The complex is almost 1/2 mile long and has a lot of landscaping & a lot of squirrels.

I assumed that it is a recessive genetic thing. I think these squirrels primarilyinter-breed with others in the complex. I've never seen a black squirrel in Central Park, for example.Most people who see them here (who do not live here) are surprised by them.

A few other people have told me that they have seen black squirrels. The one I recall specifically lives in south Ontario.I've seen photos of red squirrels and white ones, but have never seen them here.
Calliope_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 6:37 PM   #13

geoffs wrote:
Quote:
I used to live in NYC and I used to see black phase gray squirrels from time to time. According to this webpage, they are more common the further north in their range you go.

I didn't quite follow the phasing, since it wasn't explained in the article. These squirrels are completely black and appear to be full grown and are around in different seasons, not that I would claim a great deal of expertise in this particular critter! :lol:
Calliope_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 6:42 PM   #14

We have quite a few of the red variety here. They aren't as large as the grays, but they seem noisier and more aggressive. They and the gray types are quite prejudiced, and so the only talking they do with each other is in the form of yelling. I can't imagine what would happen if a third color showed up. We'd probably have full-scale squirrel wars.
bcoultry is offline   Reply With Quote