Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Sep 6, 2004, 9:37 AM   #1

Just got ourselves alovely group of emperor scorpions. Not too sure on the sexes of them all yet, But have witnessed some bizzare behaviour happening between them... Just wondered if anyone could tell us what it means:?. We had 1 scorpion already, and brought 5 more. After about 5 mins of putting them into the viv, We noticed that one of the scorpions was juddering, in a short twitching motion. I read that this signifies a mating behaviour. Then after the scorp finished juddering, a couple of the others startedtapping their feet on the ground, it was like clockwork though, the 1st one judders, then when its finished the others started tapping.:? I have spent hours surfingnet trying to find out about this tapping business, oly managed to find out about the juddering. So..... If anyone knows anything about this or knows any good sites where I can look into this further then please let us know! I need to know if im going to have a few extra mouths to feed!!

Thanks! :blah:
jiggyjaffakake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 6, 2004, 8:39 PM   #2

That's just a mating call, essentially. Chances are good, those are wild caught emperors and chances are also good if you have a fully mature female, she's also gravid.

However, having a successful batch of babies is slim. Emperors moms are REALLY paranoid and will kill their babies if she feels they are threatend or if environmental conditions are not right.

Steve

LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 8:07 AM   #3

:-)Thanks for that steve!

My partner has had them in the past, he gave it to a friend of his who had put it in with another scorp. about 6 months later it had 3 babies on its back, unfrtunetly the guy who had the scorp was'nt feeding them properly so the mother ended up eating her babies :sad:.

We have the best setup possible for our scorps, 4x2x2 viv, with all heating and proper conditions, obviously if the scorps are showing signs of mating they must be happy in their enviornment! The only thing we need now is the flat rock, so if mating does occur then they have somewhere to dance and mate.

Will keep a closer eye on then incase we do have a female and she is gravid, we will place her in a seperate viv and stock up on baby cricks!!!

Thanks again for the help! just thought id get a second opinion on the matter.

Also got snakes ect, their like babies to me, my kitten decided she was going to munch on them when two of them escaped, so they are in recovery vivs and doing well!! Things we do for our reps!

:lol:
jiggyjaffakake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2004, 9:19 PM   #4

Another thing you should do, if you are successful in having babies, get some wood chips and scatter them through out the cage. This give the babies a chance to hide from everything when they depart from their mothers back.

Steve

LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote