Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Oct 30, 2004, 8:27 PM   #11

Oh, tears are flowing here, too. We had an oldgelding named Red who my dad rode as a teenager. We had him until he was 33, and he is buried in our pasture. It was incredibly hard to let him go. He was like a part of the family. He was a stinker, very smart, and he had a love of life... seeing your pictures just brings it all back. That all seems like a strange way to say thanks, but thanks for letting me remember.
WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2004, 9:51 PM   #12

your welcome, animals can certainly tug at your heart.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 8:21 AM   #13

I don't know how someone can make that decision. Seems to me that horse people make that decision a lot quicker than most other animal lovers...
jimjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 8:51 AM   #14

I dont think that is so, This horse had been suffering for months, the owners tried all manner of treatment and cried their hearts out over it. Most horse people who have a horse as a childs pet in particular are very attached as much as dog or cat lovers. To allow an animal to suffer is the worse kind of cruelty and I guess horse lovers may be a little more informed in this matter.
Old Nov 3, 2004, 3:38 PM   #15

I couldn't make that decision myself but I guess these people know what is right. What annoys me are racehorse owners who shoot the horse if it breaks its leg. The way they see it is that if the horse isn't earning money then it is pointless.
jimjiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 4:53 PM   #16

My gut feeling is that the lady who had her horse put down would have been the one to take on the horse with the broken leg, rehab it the best she could, and love it as long as she could. Euthanizing animals is not something any animal lover wants to do, but sometimes it is the only humane thing to do. I think we should let this topic end...the intent of this post was to honor a horse who lived a good, long life, and to share the moments this photographer captured as a result.
WisconsinGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 3:46 PM   #17

Great photos, the black and white ones are my personal favourites, especially the emotion envoked by the young girls face. Must have been a tough shoot : (

Photos are one of the best ways toinvoke the memories of the good times and remember those that have passed.
Psycho Budgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 8:42 PM   #18

Dear Julie,

I am so sorry. I am crying for you. I can't image what you must be going through. Pets become part of our family. It is a lost. Such a beautiful horse. God Bless and hang in there.

Nadia
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 10:43 PM   #19

Nadia, not my pony, a family friends. I have to say that I did feel a bit teary (because they were all weepy and when they saw the photos they started all over again)the day after when they came around to see the photos after the horse was put to sleep.