Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Oct 31, 2004, 1:45 AM   #1

Here's a picture of my new pet, a whip tail scorpion, also known as a vinegaroon. When threatened they spray out an acidic substance that smell just like vinegar.

Ugly animal, but they make great pets.

Steve

Attached Images

LINEBACKER 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2004, 11:52 PM   #2

Man, I don't know how you do it. Spiders and scorpions just give me the creeps. They make awesome pictures though! So does he sleep with you?
toothlesrooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2004, 11:01 PM   #3

I don't know... I just do it because I love those types of animals. Most people chastise them and scorn them without knowing anything about them. Especially the spiders. Tarantulas are awesome animals and they're really interesting, but most people won't give the time to get to know them.

Knowledge obliterates ignorance.

Anyways, I've got a seperate room with all my animals in it. However, the Boa Constrictor lives in my living room because her cage is so big.

Steve

Old Nov 4, 2004, 7:39 AM   #4

In my case it's not so much ignorance. I'm very aware of the benifits of such creatures, and I do admire them. Tarantulas are very beautufill creatures and Scorpions have always fascinated me too, but I won't touch them. I think it's because they don't show emotion (and I can't plainley see a mouth/teeth) so I never really know what they're going to do. Snakes don't bother me, I think it's because I never plan on messing with poisonous species and the non poisonous don't pose a threat,with the exception of the large constrictors. And they don't bother me if there is someone knowledgeable around.

Either way, cool hobby I dig your pictures. I've been scanning this thread for the past week or two looking at all of them.

Gavin
Old Nov 4, 2004, 7:45 PM   #5

Hi Steve,

There is a purpose for all creatures on earth. Enjoy and respect their defenses, as I know you do.

Nadia
Nadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 4, 2004, 9:22 PM   #6

Hey Gavin,

Well, if you're interested I could send you some pictures I've taken of my animals. There's quite a few of them. They're interesting for sure and they're alot of fun. My Boa Constrictor is about to shed in the next week or so, once she's done I'll photograph the skin and post it, it's really cool.

Steve

Old Nov 4, 2004, 9:25 PM   #7

Nadia:

You respect them alot more when you're bit by them

I've been bit only once by a tarantula, which was not mine, but it got out of its enclosure and did not want to go back in. Maggie, my Boa has bitten me twice. Both my fault. One time I I had finished feeding my other snakes and did not wash my hands, so I smelled like a rodent and she struck at me.

The other time I was putting some shavings in her cage and my hand was moving rapidly and she struck at it.

I don't blame her for doing what she did. You just have to becareful around something that large.

Steve

Old Nov 5, 2004, 10:09 AM   #8

I'd love to see more shots. I have a friend that loves snakes and he had a couple of Boa's (I think, maybe a python). He's got a small daughter of less than a year old now and doesn't feel comfortable having the larger snakes around so he has since sold them, but they are definatley animals to be respected. It's even funny how he ,and I'm sure you can see the different personalities in each reptile. Even though their faces are emotionless. I had a garder snake once He bit me, but I managed to survive heh.

I do have a question about the Tarantula though. I've heard that some species do have venom, though it's not deadly. Did this one? What was it like? I've heard it can be quite painfull. Let me know if you have any other pics of spiders or reptiles. You should build a web page .

Peace,

Gavin
Old Nov 5, 2004, 8:46 PM   #9

Hey Gavin.

All tarantulas have venom. All of them. However, to humans it's not a danger. Some species hurt but nothing that's going to send you to the ICU or anything. When I was bit, it was like a pin prick. Nothing serious.

The worst case I've heard of was a woman who was bit by an Usumbura Baboon and went to the hospital only for the pain.

That's it.

Tarantulas are large and are menacing. The worst part of the defense of a tarantula isn't its bite, it's the hairs on the abdomen. A typical tarantula (not all though) will kick the hairs off the abdomen into the face of the potential threat.

If you're not treated right away and it gets in your eyes, it can cause serious damage.

Again, they're an animal and they deserve respect.

They're an awesome pet and really interesting to watch and study.

Steve

PS: Gavin, send me a private message with an email address. I'll send you some pictures of my animals.

Old Nov 20, 2004, 12:12 PM   #10

LINEBACKER2, Your avatar is by far sorriest and most provocative I've seen for a long time. Looks like a Fookin Arab terrorist. And makes me wonder if this forum is moderated at all.
code is offline   Reply With Quote