Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Nov 29, 2004, 1:25 AM   #1

hey guys!

here's one of my first shots with my digital rebel...well, not counting my test shots...lol

i had set up a makeshift "studio" with deathly hot lights and foam board reflector

but, it seems to have worked...the original is noisy because of the high iso (not bad for 1600 though! ) see how neat image deals with it...

not only is this puppy adorable...but she is very well behaved! she's less than 4 months old, and she sat still for at least ten minutes for these! and would've stayed longer, but i had gotten enough

thanks for looking!

hope you like it!

Vito
Attached Images

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 29, 2004, 7:53 AM   #2

nice shot vito, Im happy to be the first to comment on your first shot:-)I really like it, the dark background really sets off the color of the dog. By the way, that puppy is getting big really fast:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 9:44 AM   #3

Yo Vito, know what the problem with this photo is? The damned puppy is TOO disgustingly cute! Yecch!

Kidding... wonderful work as always. Now here's one to add to the extensive portfolio. Is this a golden? (Sometimes they look like labs when they're pups...) If so, it will be a great subject- alway, they'll do anything to please their owners, including sitting under 125 degree lights, patiently, without complaining, longer than most people.

1600 iso! Why so high? Neat image did a fantastic job removing the noise. Did you use the profile for the camera or did you make your own?

Nick
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 29, 2004, 10:38 AM   #4

hey guys! thanks for looking!

the ISO was so high, so i could get a shutter fast enough so it wouldn't blur...

the big problem i faced...was i don't have a way of taking the flash off the camera or lowering it's exposure (if you know a way, please share!)

the flash would leave big shadows to the left of her (well...this was before i was shooting the dog...i was taking some pictures of my family, so the "her" i'm referring to is now my sister lol) but the settings would be alright...now when i turned off the flash, and just used the hot lights i had set up, there would be very small shadows on her face (i got her to turn her head so that there weren't any though) and the exposure was low...

anyway, i didn't know i was on 1600 at the time, but i would've had to go up there anyway...

oh yeah...i didn't use neat image for this one..just resized..i was actually quite amazed how little noise there was...lol, my g2 would have double the noise at ISO 200!

alady- she's definetely grown a bit! the shoe isn't in this shot, so you can't really compare them...but she's starting to look older

thanks for looking guys i appreciate the comments! i need a faster lens...lol, f5.6 at 88 makes it tough i'm used to the G2's lens that was 2.0 at wide angle, and 2.5 at full zoom...

oh well, the MUCH fast AF is great!

Vito
Old Nov 30, 2004, 3:01 AM   #5

What an adorable photo. Super nice portrait. Congrats on the new camera, looks like you're getting the hang of it quickly. Way cute dog.

Suzan
ImKayd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 9:33 AM   #6

Vito, Im impressed with the lack of noise at ISO 800 and 1600 with my rebel. I hate to use artificial light anyway. I tend to shoot without flash as much as I can.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 11:02 AM   #7

I can't believe you shot at such a high ISO without any noise. Not a DSLR owner but it's shots like that that make me say, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
NickTrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 8:19 PM   #8

Hey Vito,

Cute pup, great colors, focus, composition, pose, all of it adds up to a great shot. Congrats on the new camera, now you can start asking for lenses for Christmas.:?
GoCubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 30, 2004, 9:13 PM   #9

thanks guys

she did all the work here...

ok fine...i did do a lot of fighting with lights to get the shots to work...but, it's not hard to take shots of such an adorably puppy

nick....i'm with you! of course, this photo is resized...and all the noise got resized out...neat image did do a good job of getting the noise out of the full size though..i'm going to be printing them soon, so we'll see how they look printed...

i'll keep you posted on that

i agree alady..but it depends...lol, here, the flash looked really back, flat lighting, with strong shadow to the left....but, i do use it sometimes, to light a backlit subject, or to get some detail in a bright sky, while keeping the foreground element light

thanks for looking!

i'm loving this thing! it seems so much more 'real' than the G2....real shutter sound, real viewfinder...DOF preview...it's pretty darn nice

Vito