Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Jul 23, 2005, 7:01 PM   #1

Here is my Green Terror (about 6") and some other smaller fish. Jack Dempseys and Tinfoil Barbs. They will grow in time.
Attached Images

Zombywoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 2, 2005, 8:09 AM   #2

That dude is big enough to fillet!!!

I must say that I have found photographing fish in a tank is very difficult.

It's hard to get the lighting just right, and even harder to get the shot you want in focus

Out of all the animals we have, they are the hardest for me to get right..

Nice job Zombywoof..
Meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2005, 8:33 AM   #3

Thanks Meiko. I practiced quite a few shots and kept the best ones. Anyway that Green Terror is only about half grown. I had one once that I raised to a foot long. He was a beauty and had a really cool personality. He thought the whole living room was his territory. In time I will take more pictures as the other fish grow and then post them.
Old Aug 10, 2005, 8:17 PM   #4

WOW how large is the tank, I have a 120gallon marine/saltwater aquarium myself. I think I will post a few pics of my fish.
bsdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2005, 7:05 AM   #5

It's a 75 gallon tank.
Old Aug 14, 2005, 11:19 PM   #6

bsdguy....120 gal..nice!!

I'd love to see some pics of your tank and fish..

We have a couple of freshwater 55's and just aquired a 60gal saltwater that has been up for about 6 years..We also are getting a 150gal tank only that were debating on between salt or fresh...:?

Meiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 9, 2005, 6:27 PM   #7

Here is a shot from about 10 years ago. Same tank, some of the same varieties of fish. This is a scan from film. Pre digital days, not the best shot. But this Green Terror was about 12" long and so was the Pleco and Tin Foil Barb. This Green Terror thought the living room was his terratory. He was an amazing fish. Always resonded to people, more so than the other fish. In fact here is his story:

The Territorial Green Terror

Here's my fish story. I used to have this beautiful Green Terror from around '94 to '98. I bought him at about the $5 ‑ $6 size (about 2-1/2 inches). He was a real beauty. He grew to about 11 inches long and lived in a 75 gallon tank with a Red Devil (about 6" at the time), a Pleco, a Pictus cat, 2 Tinfoil Barbs, a Black Ghost and a Weather Loach. He wasn't hurting anyone, although he certainly was the boss of the tank. It was the way he reacted to me and other people. He thought that my whole living room is his territory. When I would go up to the tank he stared at me and tried to intimidate me by flaring his gills, looking me straight in the eye, and charging towards the glass and doing these little but quick body shakes. When I quickly moved from one end of the tank to the other, he would chase me. He's pretty quick. I've done little "behavior" experiments with him. First I noticed how "eye contact" is real important. He always looked at me straight in the eye. He was able to see me anywhere within line of sight (up to about 25' away). I've experimented by backing up away from the tank when he tries to intimidate me. I would take a step back each time he flared his gills out and I kept backing up as far as I can go before I had to duck into a doorway. Another experiment I did was that I blocked my face with a dinner plate and then he would back off because when I removed the plate and he saw my eyes he came right at me again. He watches me more than I watch him. Although we have fish so that we can enjoy looking at them this was one fish that kept looking at me. I used to say that he was "on patrol" all the time watching me. Whenever I walked past the tank he would just follow me. Other aspects of his behavior I had noticed that when he tried to intimidate me and I didn't back off he would get a little spooked and hide. So I always let him think he was "boss" by backing off when he flared his gills out. But one other thing I did that was kind of funny is that I stuck a mirror in front of him. Well I guess he was so intimidating looking to himself that he got spooked and took off to hide in the back of the tank. Well I didn't do that to him again. I have also heard that cichlids may be smart enough to recognize there owners. I didn't know if there was any truth to that or not until I had this fish. He reacted to all people that came in the room, but he was always the meanest to me. So I think cichlids do recognize their owners.

Attached Images