Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Nov 13, 2005, 7:05 PM   #1

Hi all, this is my first post but i have been trolling for about a week since i picked up my first ever camera. I got an oly evolt e300 and this is probably the best shot i have taken thus far. I know nothing about setting up for a picture but i will figure it out from trial and tips i have found all over the net. Please go easy on the criticing, and without further adue,

astinus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2005, 7:54 PM   #2

Well you got a nice camera... But you use it to CHOP OFF KITTIE'S EARS! Ouch!

It's a little over exposed but that well come with more pictures.

Normally here you're not going to get a critique here and I only did a little because you asked. Here we like to look at pets and go" Ahhhh!"

dale

thatsanicepicture2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 8:08 PM   #3

As Dale,let mea little critique. Watch over the background, the wheel distracts a little.

Regard.

Luis M.
belibeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2005, 10:33 PM   #4

doh. sorry. i thought i put this in critiques forum. I guess i will repost there sometime but i know my skills are very lacking.

As for cutting off the ears and the tire, well. with this cat you never get the chance to catch her sitting still hardly ever.
Old Nov 16, 2005, 5:13 AM   #5

Just the opposite to mine, he is immobile for a long time where I put him.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...light=belibeli
belibeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2005, 11:54 AM   #6
LT7

LOL , that's funny, mine absorbs all the light, that all you get is a Black ball of fur with two wide eyes looking at you like you are crazy. :?

LT
LT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 7:46 PM   #7

I saw you used ISO200 on this shot. With an upclose flash shot, it isn't necissary have the ISO up unless you want the backround more exposed, which in this case, you probably do not. Sometimes with pets, you gotta take em where they land, but I do not think the background is too distracting. Good shot.

Also, try to take pictures of him without the flash. I believe your camera can go to ISO800 and 1600. Try those with no flash if the indoor lighting is not very good. I get my best cat shots without the flash with my F10.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2005, 10:04 PM   #8

Carskick, I know almost nothing about taking pictures so i dunno what the different ISO settings do or how they effect lighting. I'm slowly learning a bit as i play with the different settings on the camera. I used the macro mode when i was took this shot so everything was set automatically. I'm getting the idea and it's a fun process.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 7:16 PM   #9

ISO/ASA on digicams is in comparison to film speed, which is really ISO/ASA as well. The higher the ISO, the more sensitive the camera is to light, thus the shutter time needed is halfed when the is doubled. However, the higher ISO causes more noise in your pictures, so you always want to use the lowest possible in each situation. When using the flash and photographing upclose, ISO100 or less is optimal. If photographing with the flash of objects 6-12ft or more away, you may want to increace the ISO to make the flash more effective. ISO choice in each situation differs based on subject, distant, camera, setup, and user. Experiment with ISO, as learing to manually adjust it can really help you in your understanding of your camera.

A camera such as the e-300 can probably take low noise photos and ISO400 and above, where many compacts cannot. Therefore, instead of using the flash, you can up the ISO and get better color tones and exposure. Now there are downsides. If the ISO is too low and you are not using the flash, the picture may end up blurry from camera shake or under exposed if you choose a shutter speed to prevent camera shake. When photgraphing pets, I find it esspecially useful to avoid using the flash, as their eyes are very seceptible to red, green, white, or whatever color reflection. With your SLR, the problem is less prevalent, but with compacts like my F10, it is a problem. In your case, the exposure of the eyes will be much better without the flash.

Here is an example picture I took of my cat with no flash in a not so bright house (night time with some light on) at ISO400. Now the picture is definitely not perfect, in fact it's slightly blurry. I should have used ISO800, as ISO400 required 1/7 shutter. However, the picture was very nice of the cat, so I kept it. Do not get me wrong, I am not trying to show off my abilities or hijack your forum. This is purely to help you understand a way of photographing and help you at doing it. I would give it a try. Brighten up your house by turning on the lights, disable the flash on your camera, and begin photographing, messing with ISO and other settings. You will you have to hold the camera more steady when doing this than when using the flash, but it is a good skill to have. I hope you found this helpful. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help!

Attached Images

Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote