Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Animal & Pet Photos

Old Mar 10, 2006, 4:11 AM   #1

Hi all!

Here is another photo I'm not sure what forum to put it in, but in the end I'll put it here also. (Recently I posted another photo of some birds in this forum: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...amp;forum_id=6)

Well this photo is of a cat (not mine) which seemed to notice something, and then it began stalking it, trying to hunt it. In the end whatever it was hunting (or whatever it THOUGHT it was hunting!) didn't get caught... but in the meantime this gave me a good opportunity to get some quick photos of this cat in typical "feline hunting / stalking" action.

I find snow a quite difficult thing to get good exposure with, (maybe the Australian origin in my rebelling :-)) but I was quite pleased with this photo!

I'd like to hear your comments / feedback.

All the best

Paul

Attached Images

pj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2006, 4:36 PM   #2

The snow is a little overexposed but the shot works.

Maybe even consider erasing the grass on the left, so that the cat is totally surrounding by only white!
terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 3:04 AM   #3

I think I agree with Terry about the snow being over exposed....although I am not sure how to fix that, only maybe having more color in the picture to darken the picture. I think all the white washes out the picture a bit.

But, I think you do have a very good eye for the subject.:-) It left me wondering what that silly cat was up too!!:G
HOKIEGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:11 PM   #4

Hi!

Terry, thanks for your thoughtful comments and advice. Yes, I take your point that the snow IS over-exposed... and I've taken what you suggested as a good reason to try andpost this again, and yes, maybe it's even better this way, with the "all white background" look.

So what do you think? (or should I also try to get rid of the shadow under the cat?)

I always appreciate your perspective, so please do let me know if you think this edit does it justice... (anyone can comment, not just Terry !!) :blah:

So this one I'll call "Snow stalker in white"... and what do you think comparing the photo in this post between that one in the original post, OR the one in the NEXT post (a more "natural" look...)

I'd like to hear everyone's opinion on your favourite of the 3!

Paul

Attached Images

Old Mar 12, 2006, 12:20 PM   #5

Hi Hokiegirl, also appreciate your comments the snow was overexposed. Actually I did that in post processing trying to bring out more saturation / contrast between the snow and the cat (but I think you and Terry are right, I over did it killing a proper snow look!)

So I've gone back to the original photo and post processed (editted) in a different way, to let the snow keep it's more natural colours - but I did increase saturation and sharpness a bit..

What do you (all) think of THIS edit below then?? (snow stalker "natural")

Paul
Attached Images

Old Mar 15, 2006, 9:23 PM   #6

I like the last post. It gave me the texture of the snow, and it was much eaiser to look at. :G Great job!! Love the picture...
HOKIEGIRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2006, 5:24 PM   #7

Hokiegirl, thanks for sharing your opinion... and explaining why, it's always helpful to know which photos people like, and why! All the best.

Paul