Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Architectural Photos (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/architectural-photos-74/)
-   -   "Angst" or The Quest For Perfect Symmetry - Picture from Gunnebo Castle (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/architectural-photos-74/angst-quest-perfect-symmetry-picture-gunnebo-castle-200015/)

Torgny Jun 29, 2012 8:06 PM

"Angst" or The Quest For Perfect Symmetry - Picture from Gunnebo Castle

1 Attachment(s)
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

Torgny Jun 30, 2012 1:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picture number two

Torgny Jul 1, 2012 7:02 AM

Picture number three

Torgny Jul 2, 2012 7:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Picture number four

shoturtle Jul 2, 2012 9:31 PM

Those hedges are cut very uniquely. Not sure I like the like the concept of the series. But there are allot of V shapes.

Torgny Jul 3, 2012 5:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoturtle (Post 1309389)
Those hedges are cut very uniquely. Not sure I like the like the concept of the series. But there are allot of V shapes.

Yes, you're right, as always. I have to try even harder

Torgny Jul 3, 2012 5:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Picture number five

Torgny Jul 3, 2012 6:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The last symmetry picture from Gunnebo

shoturtle Jul 3, 2012 10:01 AM

On the last shot, I would back up a bit and get the full arch of the first set of pilers. It would add to the shot and give it a better feel I think.

Torgny Jul 3, 2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoturtle (Post 1309471)
On the last shot, I would back up a bit and get the full arch of the first set of pilers. It would add to the shot and give it a better feel I think.

shoturtle,

Now we're getting somewhere. Yes, I told you you were right. This time I had only 24mm and I was leaning backwards to a door. But that's not really an excuse. Thanks for the feedback. I have older exposures of the motive

I'll have a look to see if I can find it. If I do I'll post it right here. Btw, I personally find symmetry to be interesting, especially in nature.

The hedges here is a try to overcome the (for the lack of a better word) angst in relation to nature itself - a need to control nature. You may remember the french garden in Paris

And that in a time when people freed themself from all kinds of authorities

Never really liked that idea (of controlling nature) myself, but that is another matter. Otherwise the ideas of the Enlightenment is what we live by; some of us anyhow

Long time, shoturtle, any flying?

Torgny

shoturtle Jul 3, 2012 1:28 PM

Been actually moving allot of stuff back to germany from the US. So that has been taking allot of my time. Have a ton of home projects my wifey wants done around the house in Germany. So I had to ship 90% of my tools back to germany in may. So I have been busy with putting down new flooring, building my barbecue area. Just been enjoying the areas around Frankfurt and New York. Visited Mexico and that was about all for this year.

Torgny Jul 4, 2012 6:59 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Well, that's a lot and there are a few months left to go. I found this picture in a folder. It, at 17 mm on a FF camera, still with my back leaning at the door behind

shoturtle Jul 4, 2012 12:10 PM

I like this one allot better, good symmetry no only if the right door did not have the yellow warning sticker on it. ;)

Torgny Jul 4, 2012 5:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by shoturtle (Post 1309624)
I like this one allot better, good symmetry no only if the right door did not have the yellow warning sticker on it. ;)

Et votre opinion de Les Jardins de Tuileries?

Calicajun Jul 10, 2012 11:39 AM

Good set, I like the idea of shooting everything in symmetry for a photo project.

Torgny Jul 17, 2012 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calicajun (Post 1310454)
Good set, I like the idea of shooting everything in symmetry for a photo project.

If one thinks about it - symmetry is more of a rule than an exception, both in nature and in buildings. Perhaps there is a "crass" explanation - it's more economic :)

The Barbarian Jul 22, 2012 6:21 PM

Dennis Bloodworth, in The Chinese Looking-Glass wrote that the one time his Chinese wife said "Barbarians!" with feeling was when she observed the elaborately geometrical gardens of a Renaissance palace.

Symmetry, in the bilateria, is mostly the consequence of a head going one way, and a tail leaving things behind. In the world of HOX genes and cellular destiny, symmetry is easier.

But nature likes to break it in various ways. Coiled shells are right or left-handed, depending on species. We can only use L-forms of amino acids. Our brains are only superficially symmetrical. Fiddler crabs violate symmetry grandly.

lorenww Jul 25, 2012 3:24 PM

That last shot of the arches has awesome shadows. I like the entire series.

Torgny Jul 30, 2012 8:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lorenww (Post 1312590)
That last shot of the arches has awesome shadows. I like the entire series.

Yes, it's a bit special. You really must have a wide angle lens to cover it. An idea would be to follow the shadows on a high summer day

//T

Torgny Jul 30, 2012 8:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Barbarian (Post 1312210)
Dennis Bloodworth, in The Chinese Looking-Glass wrote that the one time his Chinese wife said "Barbarians!" with feeling was when she observed the elaborately geometrical gardens of a Renaissance palace.

Symmetry, in the bilateria, is mostly the consequence of a head going one way, and a tail leaving things behind. In the world of HOX genes and cellular destiny, symmetry is easier.

But nature likes to break it in various ways. Coiled shells are right or left-handed, depending on species. We can only use L-forms of amino acids. Our brains are only superficially symmetrical. Fiddler crabs violate symmetry grandly.

The Barbarian,

Thanks for your elaboration on the theme. See if I can get hold of that book

Yes, part of the Chinese and Japanese cultures do find deviations from symmetry to be necessary, as I understand it. Nothing exists when not confronted with its opposite

The Arabs' holy book Koran says only God can make perfect things so a carpet weaver may weave in a fault if he suspects the result may be too good; not to offend God

As I recall it :)

Torgny

Btw: what worried people of the renaissance about Nature to the extent that they couldn't keep their fingers from it