Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:38 PM   #1

I love shooting this stuff with super wides
Attached Images

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2006, 1:52 AM   #2

Great baroque stuff, indeed! Napoleon's tomb is also there at Invalides I believe, which was originally designed to house veterans and to serve as a hospital as well.. I see that architectural photography requires super wide lens such as yours. What lens was it on the camera, btw?
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 6:36 AM   #3

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Great baroque stuff, indeed! Napoleon's tomb is also there at Invalides I believe, which was originally designed to house veterans and to serve as a hospital as well.. I see that architectural photography requires super wide lens such as yours. What lens was it on the camera, btw?
Hi Bahadir,,

It was a 7-14 f4 Zuiko on an Olympus E-300. Yes, Napoleon's tomb was right behind me as I shot that.

From what I read prior to going over there, this area of the building was Louis XIV's private church at the Invalides and he meant for it to be the location ofhis tomb too. It was later decided he would be buried at St. Denis with the rest of the French kings. Napoleon would get that honor later.

This was shot with the same lens, at the same 7mm setting.
Attached Images

Old Sep 27, 2006, 8:26 AM   #4

Very appealing perspective and field of view which could almost include you behind the camera You certainly have good cause to love shooting with this lens and must have shot many great gothic cathedrals in France..Btw, have you detected any sweet spot of this lens between the 7-14 range in terms of sharpness and distortion?
Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:05 AM   #5

Love these pics!
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2006, 7:15 PM   #6

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Very appealing perspective and field of view which could almost include you behind the camera You certainly have good cause to love shooting with this lens and must have shot many great gothic cathedrals in France..Btw, have you detected any sweet spot of this lens between the 7-14 range in terms of sharpness and distortion?
Yes, my girlfriend and I were so in awe of all the churches we went to all those and never stepped foot in the Louvre the entire 12 days we were there. We did do day trips to Versailles and Mont St. Michel, but we spent the rest of the time travelling the Metro to the various corners of the city seeing them all- St. Denis, St. Roch, Notre Dame, St. Severen, St. Etienne Du Mont just to name a few. We probably saw more of the city than many doing what we did.

I have just over 700 images from our 12 day trip on my website here:

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/gallery/1547796

Regarding the lens, it's been impressive at all focal lengths and apertures I've used. You CAN stop it down to f22, but I don't think I've used it lower than f11. With near/far subjects and 7mmyou get the obvious wide angle effect up closeyou're going to get with super-wides, but no bent lines...it's very well corrected. The attached image is typical of the extreme wide angle look with near subjects, but look at how much coverage you get. The girl standing next to the support looking at the screen of her digicamis the girl I was with. She had no idea I was also getting the entire tower! All the images on the above website are available to view in full size and the EXIF info can be clicked on below to see the focal length used if you want to see some more images I took with the 7-14.

Attached Images

Old Sep 28, 2006, 3:08 AM   #7

Amazing perspective again! In fact I was visiting your great web site and just gave a brief break in order to send a reply to your post. There's a lot of material for a lecturer to display with a projector in their class. Demonstrative architectural details such as flying buttresses of Notre Dame. I hope you don't mind some questions: I see you mostly suffice with ISO 400 for interior shots at the cost of a long exposure time of 1/25 for handheld shots. Is it because they allow tripods(which is beyond my knowledge) or you can often find somewhere to lean your camera? I also saw an interior shot of you at ISO 800, very sharp and without detectable noise (if that's the reason). In the exif info, also, I see you selected an in camera sharpening of +2. Don't you find Unsharp Mask to do a superior job?
Rgs,
Bahadır
Old Sep 28, 2006, 6:57 AM   #8

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Amazing perspective again! In fact I was visiting your great web site and just gave a brief break in order to send a reply to your post. There's a lot of material for a lecturer to display with a projector in their class. Demonstrative architectural details such as flying buttresses of Notre Dame. I hope you don't mind some questions: I see you mostly suffice with ISO 400 for interior shots at the cost of a long exposure time of 1/25 for handheld shots. Is it because they allow tripods(which is beyond my knowledge) or you can often find somewhere to lean your camera? I also saw an interior shot of you at ISO 800, very sharp and without detectable noise (if that's the reason). In the exif info, also, I see you selected an in camera sharpening of +2. Don't you find Unsharp Mask to do a superior job?
Rgs,
Bahadır
Typically the E-300 is not a good camera as far as noise characteristics beyond ISO 400, that was my main reason for not going beyond that setting. As far as I know tripods are not allowed in most of the places I went and I am not one who cares to haul one around, especially on a trip such as this one was. I can only imagine what it would have been like trying to hang on to a tripod and my camera bag in the Metro system! I relied on columns, chairs, railings, etc., when it came to being able to hold the camera still enough. In some cases there were none, but the E-300/7-14 combination is very easy to hand hold at very low shutter speeds. I used it many time below 1/20 sec without any aids at all. When I did up the ISO to 800, I made sure my exposures were good to where I didn't have to try and pull details in the shadows up in my post processing. That's usually when the ugly noise starts to crop up. Even with that, I can definitely see the noise in those ISO 800 shots when I open the file up in Photoshop compared to the ISO 400 files. The do look on online though, and they also do very well when printed. I've made 8.5x11 prints of a couple of theISO 800 shots and they look great.

The sharpening setting....actually all the perameters that were set up in-cameraas far as image quality goes such as contrast, white balance, etc., were something I never really messed with because I shot everything in RAW capture, meaningthose settings are never really applied at the time of exposure. It made for huge files, but I wound up doing all that after I got home and processed all the files in theCapture One LE RAW converter I use to work all my original files. I have a default setting for sharpening in that program that sets the final amount for all my files and I rarely deviate from that setting. I've found in the past that tweeking each individual image as far as adjusting the sharpening settingmakes little to no difference in terms of what you can actuallyseefor the extra amount of time it takes.

Thank you for all the nice comments. I'm glad you are enjoying looking at the pictures. They were fun to take. I look forward to getting back to that side of the world as soon as I can.

Old Oct 30, 2006, 11:56 AM   #9

WOW!
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2006, 8:15 AM   #10

Wow Greg! What a shot!!! Just visiting here from the oly forum and saw you had a post. I am impressed! Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote