Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Oct 29, 2006, 8:56 PM   #1

This is a log cabin, one of the first European structures built in what is now Denton County, Texas. It was found, along with a log corncrib of the same age, in a remote area of Denton County. It was in poor shape, but the walls and foundation were still OK, although all the chinking had long washed away.

It was carefully disassembled by archaeologists and historians, and reassembled near Lewisville along with the corn crib. Historians carefully reconstructed parts of the building and used material and tools found elsewhere to make it as accurate as possible. The interior was reconstructed using clues such as soot mards on the wall to see where the table had been.

With mail taking about 40 days from the East, people made most everything they needed. Only essentials like nails and tools were purchased from the outside. Denton county was settled about 1840, and unlike many other areas in Texas, remained a land of fiercely independent small landholders. Slaves were relatively rare in the county, and before the Civil War, secession barely passed in the county.

Not surprisingly, there was considerable resistance to the draft, and many young men simply camped out in the woods to avoid it. This was euphemistically referred to as "Joining General Green."

The war brought danger from Commanche raids after the federal forces stopped patrolling, but this danger was greatlyi reduced by the formation of a large camp of Union and Confederate deserters in the northern part of the county. Confederate and Union forces and even the Commanches avoided them.

Some period tools are displayed on the house. The spokeshave and traps are virtually identical to ones I used as a boy growing up in Iowa.

The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 29, 2006, 11:47 PM   #2

Fascinating. I'll have to visit since I'm only an hour away. Thanks for sharing the photos and interesting background info.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 4:21 AM   #3

These are great Barbarian.. depicting the way of life had I not married:-) Maybe the reason I had attended the American Studies programme when at University!I also very much appreciated your displaying the period toolswhich alltogethermake mewant to see furtherabout this authentic site
Quote:
The interior was reconstructed using clues such as soot mards on the wall to see where the table had been.
And is there any chance to see the interior?
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2006, 7:09 AM   #4

Yes, I've been inside, and again, the people from North Texas State University brought in the best experts they could find to determine how it was set up. Unfortunately, it was locked the day I was there for pictures. I'll go back and take a look when it's open and post the pictures.

Walter, it's not easy to find, because they don't publicize it much. You go to downtown Lewisville, and go north on Mill St. Take a right on Jones, and you will come to a gate with a caretaker's booth. Three dollars to get in, but there's a lot more on the trails than this house. Good fishing too.

On the other side of the reserve is a biological research station, an outdoor ed facility, and a very old graveyard. I'll see if I can get out there to post some pictures of the graveyard later.

The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote