Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Nov 11, 2006, 9:20 PM   #1

One of the last old railroad depots in our area. They have a distinctive look about them.

Bob

Last edited by bhammitt; May 9, 2009 at 6:50 AM.
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 11, 2006, 11:32 PM   #2

Love those old RR stations. Look exactly like some of the ones we have /had up here in Manitoba.

I know a guy who bought one from the railway and moved it out to his acreage. He has fixed it up and now he and his wife live in it.
lesmore49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 12:35 AM   #3

Love railroad depots! Fortunately most of them survive here, though some being inactive since the governments tactfully started to sacrifice railroads for the sake of highways!!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 3:39 AM   #4

My hometown, in its infinite wisdom, tore down the old railroad depot years ago and then some time later placed a quite nondescript railcar on the spot where the depot had sat. They demolished the old movie theater, also. They are now attempting to revitalize down town by giving it an "old-fashioned" look.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 4:48 AM   #5

Thank you lesmore49! I think that is pretty cool to move one of these and live in it, we havea old station in the next county that has been converted into a restuarant. Thanks for looking and your comments!

Bob

Good morning bahadir! Our government has tactfully been removing railroads for highways for many years. It used to be that almost every city and town had rail access, now we all drive our own gas guzzling cars. Sounds like both our governments are pretty wise??????????????

Bob

Thank you lucky! We got the samething here also, we tear down old fashioned and then try to imitate it. Makes sense?:roll:

Bob
bhammitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2006, 10:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Sounds like both our governments are pretty wise??????????????

Ha ha ha!You knowoneimportant basis of liberal economy is; both theconsumer and theprovider are considered to be rational:blah:What a dogma!! But,of course it isthe simple mindedwho lookfor sense at vain.The point is how much profit could be gainedand by whom as a result:lol:Timeshows that the'hidden hands' by Adam Smith praised at economy classes have often proved to be dark as well!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 3:29 AM   #7

Restored Union Pacific Railroad station in Edinburg, Texas. I love railroad stations. Bahadir, if you can do anything about stopping the trend to highways over rail in your country, do it! In Dallas, they once had the old "Interurban" a light rail line that ran from Waco in the south, to the Oklahoma border. Then they tore it out.

A few decades later, they built a much smaller system, at great expense, to reduce the huge traffic problems. Trains are a fine and civilized way to travel.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2006, 3:29 AM   #8

oops. Duplicate-please remove
Old Nov 13, 2006, 3:29 AM   #9

Duplicate
Old Nov 27, 2006, 3:52 PM   #10

Nice Bob! I think traveling by train would be great fun. But when I checked into it, was quite expensive. Donna
D.Ann is offline   Reply With Quote