Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Apr 7, 2007, 12:01 PM   #1

Drawbridge across the Mississippi River at Sabula. The entire main span pivots at the pilot house in the center of the span, to allow towboats to pass through.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2007, 1:01 PM   #2

Somehow, your captureconveysquite amoodytone, which quite appeals to me!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 5:52 PM   #3

As a boy, I made friends with the operator, and I often sat in the operator's house on the bridge, as he made the center span swing around, using controls that reminded me of an old-fashioned telephone operator's console.

Like the other Iowa pictures, there's a strong sense of nostalgia for people and times long past. Maybe it comes out in the pictures.

Old Apr 7, 2007, 6:43 PM   #4

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

This picture of the bridge reflects not only a moody nostalgia trip. It is also a technical boy´s dream.

Did you ever play with (Gilbert´s) Meccano, that inspired so many kids into engineering

http://www.girdersandgears.com/

/T

Attached Images

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2007, 8:27 PM   #5

I built one out of an Erector set, which is similar:

The bridge actually looks like this:

The largest span rotates to let towboats through.
Old Apr 8, 2007, 2:12 AM   #6

The Barbarian wrote:
Quote:
As a boy, I made friends with the operator, and I often sat in the operator's house on the bridge, as he made the center span swing around, using controls that reminded me of an old-fashioned telephone operator's console.
Acleverguy would make older friends when he's young, andyounger friends when he gets aged (not old:!:-)
Quote:
Like the other Iowa pictures, there's a strong sense of nostalgia for people and times long past. Maybe it comes out in the pictures.
Ah, it is often these 'unspoken words' which urgesone todevelop a technique appreciated by others : ) Observingthis valuable core in your pictures have been delightful
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 3:06 AM   #7

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

The Barbarian,

These dreams, wether it´s a boy´s dream or a girl´s dream, are essential and very powerful

Those who can fulfil such dreams are very lucky. Do you know anything about the architect behind it

In wars bridges are often one of the main targets (sadly)

The last picture is a wonderful addition to the first one. Perhaps you even have a picture of the entire bridge and some larger ones

Just a easter wish. Anyhow, hope you are one of those "lucky ones"

Torgny
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2007, 8:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Those who can fulfil such dreams are very lucky. Do you know anything about the architect behind it

In wars bridges are often one of the main targets (sadly)

The last picture is a wonderful addition to the first one. Perhaps you even have a picture of the entire bridge and some larger ones

There is this:

I think this is my wife's shot of the bridge. Our styles have converged so that it's sometimes hard to say now.

I was born just after the war, butI was toldthe bridge was painted in a camoflage pattern during the war. How the Nazis were going to fly all the way to Iowa to bomb a bridge, I have no idea.

Isolated on that little island, I often dreamed about places the rails led to, and the things to see and do there, much as I wondered about the lives of the men on the towboats moving up and down the river. That is, I suppose, why I left the town for bigger places.

Something is gained, but something is lost in every turn of one's life.

The design of thedrawbridge seemsunnecessarily complex, but I suppose that's becausethe forces on most of thetrusseschange from compression to tension when itturns tolet towboats through.

I never thought about it before, but I sometimes teach students about those forces now. This one, simplified a bit, would be an excellent problem to work on.

Old Apr 8, 2007, 9:36 AM   #9

I really appreciate these fabulous photos and comments - very interesting. Thank you.
garlam is offline   Reply With Quote