Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 31, 2007, 4:26 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,888
Default

That was a pleasant surprise going into a Cathedral in Dejon in my recent journey

While in between long lunch ( you know the French) and shopping excursion, I slipped into this church only to find that they are blasting their 2 floor high organ at full force and I was stunned. I stayed for more than 1/2 hours and was almost late for joining back the tour group

















Here is where Napoleon tomb is which I find to have less appeal to me - do not ask me why - even though structure wise they are very very imposing







Here comes the most gear-challenging & low light situation at the Lourvre.

Basically it has been troubling me what to do there for the last 2 months and all the earlier shots seemed like trial runs for these few shots .

It was dimmer than I thought and I was toying with the idea of using iso1600. Instead I opted for iso800 and 1/3 s handheld . Teh Lourve is notorious for disallowing pict not to mention flash. Turned out OK then I believe.

















Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:20 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
JDar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 956
Default

You had a treat hearing that famous organ--there has been a long line of famous organists there, and many recordings done. Thanks for the tour. Low light or not, the shots worked.
JDar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:23 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
bill43210's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 933
Default

nice shots, you did a good jod in poor conditions and you did it all to MUSIC, great
bill43210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 9:00 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
hercules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sparta, Greece
Posts: 2,649
Default

Very nice shots, even in low light well done
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 9:09 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
bahadir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Izmir, Turkey
Posts: 6,263
Default

danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
That was a pleasant surprise going into a Cathedral in Dejon in my recent journey

While in between long lunch ( you know the French) and shopping excursion, I slipped into this church only to find that they are blasting their 2 floor high organ at full force and I was stunned. I stayed for more than 1/2 hours and was almost late for joining back the tour group...

Very prolific escape, indeed ! Admire your spirit of discovery : )

As for the last two shots, your k100d played miracles @ 1/3 exposure time hand held, IMO!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 9:21 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
hercules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Sparta, Greece
Posts: 2,649
Default

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
danielchtong wrote:
Quote:
That was a pleasant surprise going into a Cathedral in Dejon in my recent journey

While in between long lunch ( you know the French) and shopping excursion, I slipped into this church only to find that they are blasting their 2 floor high organ at full force and I was stunned. I stayed for more than 1/2 hours and was almost late for joining back the tour group...

Very prolific escape, indeed ! Admire your spirit of discovery : )

As for the last two shots, your k100d played miracles @ 1/3 exposure time hand held, IMO!
You know now that is what i like about the K100d that it has image stabalizer on the camera am i correct
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 12:19 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 167
Default

It is good to see what IS can do for your shots. I like the ceiling shots. Very beautiful.
cgl88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2007, 1:58 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
danielchtong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,888
Default

JDar wrote:
Quote:
You had a treat hearing that famous organ--there has been a long line of famous organists there, and many recordings done. Thanks for the tour. Low light or not, the shots worked.
Geez I knew I was into something. I will be googling those info' about the Cathedral and organists. I did not have a chance to stay on as I might have missed the tourish coach. There were so much to explore in southern France. Besides architecture, they do have hundred of small towns everyone of which has its own characters. And I mean a lot of towns we just drove by. Next time I can just ignore some tourists traps

bahadir, Bill, Hercules & CGL
Thanks for taking time to comment. The I S did help besides holding up breath - a classic approach to long exposure time. I think I posted also a full version of the Lourve ceiling shot as well. I did plan on how to do the ceiling shots mainly because they are famous.

Daniel, Toronto
danielchtong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 5, 2007, 7:10 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Torgny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni
Posts: 10,042
Default


danielchtong

Brilliant. Brillante

You can enjoy them without breaking the neck. Precise use of vertical lines. Beautiful!

Allons enfants...

/T




Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 AM.