Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jul 30, 2007, 1:16 PM   #1

This is where the students get to eat and have a drink with the professors.
Attached Images

alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2007, 3:13 PM   #2

alex james wrote:
Quote:
...which is an essential, maybe most important part of education! Just remembering a saying by Marxasserting thatyou cannot think in a ghetto house like you doin a palace, I am dying of jealousy (but a positive one):!:

PS.Would yoube so kind as to provide a link for the human resources of this college:-)

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2007, 3:23 PM   #3

Thanks bahadir, I thought that you would appreciate this, oxford is a place that one can really fall in love with, we had a guide to take us around and explain everything about this great place, but I was to busy taking photos to listen to all of what she was saying, so the next time we go up there, I will take more notice.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 3:35 PM   #4

alex james wrote:
Quote:
...we had a guide to take us around and explain everything about this great place, but I was to busy taking photos to listen to all of what she was saying, so the next time we go up there, I will take more notice.
Never mind I would do the same; hoping the guide to give a lengthy explanation allowing me enough time toshoot decently : )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 9:11 PM   #5

alex james wrote:
Quote:
I can reminisce about this as well. Hope you don't mind, Alex.

In my Cambridge College of '68-'71, the Hall is also quite a tourist attraction with its decorated ceiling, but looks rather like that one. It probably looks more like that now, and did inTudor times, than it did in my day, when it was in heavy use every day to feed about 300 of the 500 students, on not very nice food that had to be carried a long way from very old kitchens. Attendance was more or less compulsory for your first two years; you paid whether you ate it or not.

The tables were packed in so tightly that it was traditional and necessary to get up from your bench when you'd finished and walk out along the table tops, treading delicately among the crockery.

The waiters were lads from the town, and looked rather terrifyingly like the dreaded 'skinheads' of the time, and there was understandable friction between 'town' and 'gown'. I'm sure they were nice chaps, but they amused themselves between sittings by stoning the ducks on the river outside with the inedible bread rolls.

Dinner opened with a 'scholar' or 'exhibitioner' (anyone who'd got an award of some kind) reading grace in Latin. I can still recite it, because I had to read it a couple of times and heard it 5 or 6 days a week for two of my academic years.

Bythe time my brother arrived about 8 years later, there was a new Hall of Residence with a modern restaurant & kitchen, so the Hall is used only for special formal dinners now.

In the tourist season, visitors came round a corner to see "please do not tread on the students" daubed on a wall under the President's Lodge. Unaccountably, the slogan stayed there for quite a long time. When I go back now I'm a tourist, of course.

Thanks for provoking the memories, Alex. Any more?

Alan T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 7:26 AM   #6

Don't mind at all Alan, always glad to hear from you.
Old Aug 1, 2007, 8:54 AM   #7

Nice shot Alex, and i bet they also had a good time as well
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2007, 9:09 AM   #8

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Alex,

Very tasteful colours. I suppose there are special chairs

- "xxxxx used to sit there"

- "Anybody know where xxxxx used to sit? Take a guess..."

Could William of Ockham (Occam) {1288-1348} have set his foot in this or adjacent buildings?

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote