Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jul 30, 2007, 4:35 PM   #1

Another part of the collage.
Attached Images

alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 31, 2007, 12:39 AM   #2

Seeing the stone architecture of the Medieval Age soaring into the sky,I am in awe!
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 2:19 AM   #3

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

alex james wrote:
Quote:
Another part of the collage.
Great picture. All about it. Great pictures. All of them

Someone less enlightened happened to call it "Dark ages" No, no, no.

That one should listen to the music. Very light.

That one should try to use Occham´s razor. Very bright

That one should look through the mirror of Brueghel

Great pictures. Light ages

Torgny

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 4:01 AM   #4

Thank you both very much.
alex james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 10:09 AM   #5

Nice shot, i've never seen a university like that before
hercules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2007, 3:39 PM   #6

Torgny wrote:
Quote:

Torgny

I likedthe overallepic narration here, Torgny!

Still,you can't mean theRenaissance artists as 'someone less enlightened' do you??

You knowit wasthem who started to use the term Dark Age widely, especially in Italy of course,many of whomcould enlighten both you and me under the August sun:G

Besides, as you know, many of the terms we often use such as GothicandMedievalare not complimentary either, if you dig them! But no modern historianuse them in their literary meanings today! Ah, the war is over, dear Torgny : )

CHEERS !

Old Jul 31, 2007, 6:53 PM   #7

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Torgny wrote:
Quote:

Torgny

I likedthe overallepic narration here, Torgny!

Still,you can't mean theRenaissance artists as 'someone less enlightened' do you??

You knowit wasthem who started to use the term Dark Age widely, especially in Italy of course,many of whomcould enlighten both you and me under the August sun:G

Besides, as you know, many of the terms we often use such as GothicandMedievalare not complimentary either, if you dig them! But no modern historianuse them in their literary meanings today! Ah, the war is over, dear Torgny : )

CHEERS !

You know me, putting things on the edge to awake voices.

I never took part in that war. When I first studied history, in primary school, I wondered what they ment by "dark" in this context. Always defending the under dog I doubted the attribute.

Listened to medieval music quite extensively during a period. High, high, high, woooouuoo. Always liked the best painters, the fascination for details.

It is, that it is

Studied theology for a year. Not for me. Came upon Wilhelm of Occam. Occam's razor: Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem or "Entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity" There are other short descriptions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam's_Razor

Later Descartes wrote Discourse on the Method (1637), a handbook in problem solving, if you will, useable for any form of analyzing even very simple matters

Anyhow, this long period is very appealing to me. Not the feudal structures but the clarity. The renaissance means rebirth - of what? The greatest culture(s) ever existing on this planet.

Once you´re out, you´re out. What I am pretty sure of is that we need that we need a new enlightenment

Always thought that if any "age" is "dark" it is our own

(Ah, those animated gifs :-))

/T

[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/HP_%C3%84garen/Skrivbord/Kopior%20till%20bloggen/Klart/cheers.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/HP_%C3%84garen/Skrivbord/Kopior%20till%20bloggen/Klart/cheers.gif[/img][img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/HP_%C3%84garen/Skrivbord/Kopior%20till%20bloggen/Klart/cheers.gif[/img]

Old Aug 1, 2007, 9:18 AM   #8

Quote:
Anyhow, this long period is very appealing to me. Not the feudal structures but the clarity. The renaissance means rebirth - of what? The greatest culture(s) ever existing on this planet.

Ah, for me too! Just proud of my mates' appreciationhere on these matters : )

As for the question: The ideals of the ancient world, I'd say!

We must accept thatjust like people, periods of time also have their characteristics. While nobody denies the works of Medievel intellectuals and artists, it was an age whosevalues were set by the Medieval theologians. Therefore we can consider Manetti's work On the Dignity and Excellence of Man as the manifesto of the Renaissance! It was not only the values butsome necessary calculations which had to be regained. We know that Brunelleschi studied the ruins in Rome, along with some of his friends, to be able to design the fabulous dome of the Florance Cathedral which isa Gothic cathedral ...I think there's much truth in the renowned architect Alberti's saying: ''We have dug this art from under the ground''

Hope this makes some sense

Cheers!
Old Aug 1, 2007, 9:57 AM   #9

bahadir wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ah, for me too! Just proud of my mates' appreciationhere on these matters : )

As for the question: The ideals of the ancient world, I'd say!

We must accept thatjust like people, periods of time also have their characteristics. While nobody denies the works of Medievel intellectuals and artists, it was an age whosevalues were set by the Medieval theologians. Therefore we can consider Manetti's work On the Dignity and Excellence of Man as the manifesto of the Renaissance! It was not only the values butsome necessary calculations which had to be regained. We know that Brunelleschi studied the ruins in Rome, along with some of his friends, to be able to design the fabulous dome of the Florance Cathedral which isa Gothic cathedral ...I think there's much truth in the renowned architect Alberti's saying: ''We have dug this art from under the ground''

Hope this makes some sense

Cheers!
Yes, the theologians. I have read that they could have endless discussions on topics like "How many devils can at the same time stand on the tip of a needle" - answers could vary up to millions

On the other hand the sophists were not so bad at this kind of "enterprices" either

But as always, there are people that transcend their "age" or "time". Some of them may have "changed the history". Ockham, I think, is one of them

Plechanov wrote a book "The role of personality in history" (ie the role of the individual). The feudal triangle upside down - that would be something

Torgny

Old Aug 2, 2007, 1:09 AM   #10

Quote:
But as always, there are people that transcend their "age" or "time". Some of them may have "changed the history". Ockham, I think, is one of them
That's right!Observing Giotto's paintings, for example, one can hear the footsteps of Renaissace comingat least a century before:!:

In this regard, once I was optimistic enough toset such a connection: Antiquity-Renaissance-EU whose constitution starts witha democracy definionby Thukikides... Ah, were it not for those skin- deep politicians with little intellectual merits!