Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Feb 2, 2009, 9:53 PM   #1

Canton, Texas
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 3, 2009, 11:45 AM   #2

Looks like an authentic place to enjoy traditional meat cookery of the West!

The b&w picture abovehintssomedelightfulexperience there, perhaps ; )
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2009, 8:53 PM   #3

Well, it's a bit self-consciously rustic. Canton's "First Monday" started out about a hundred years ago, as a flea market, and just grew. It's supposedly the world's largest outdoor flea market, although most of it is indoors now.

The county is known as the "Free State of Van Zandt," and the people there are more than slightly independent in their ways:

Another explanation states that in 1861 some 350 residents attended a meeting to protest secession. They reasoned that if Texas could leave the Union, then Van Zandt County could leave the state of Texas. These people tried to organize a government until they were threatened with military intervention. In another story, a slaveowner from out of the state came through Van Zandt County seeking a place to keep his slaves after Confederate setbacks. Asked if Van Zandt County would suffice, the man replied, "Hell no, I had as soon think of taking them to a free state. I came all the way from Quitman and never so much as saw a slave." In yet another tale, during Reconstruction residents declared Van Zandt County independent of state and national authority. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan sent troops, eventually captured the perpetrators, and imprisoned them near Canton. Although the rebels had temporarily routed the United States troops, in their eagerness to celebrate they drank too much and failed to post a guard. All eventually escaped.
http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/o...s/FF/pdf1.html

Years ago, I was doing some consulting for an insurance company, which was alarmed because a county commissioner (they insured the county) ran a stop sign and took out a carload of church ladies.

The county Judge remarked, "It's understandable. He was driving a pickup truck."

I raised my eyebrow, and he explained.

"Pickups have the right of way in Van Zandt County." He was only slightly joking.

Mrs. Barbarian and I went over that way last weekend. Just fun to go there. I found a very nice one of these in one of the piles of old cameras:

I told myself the last thing I need was another old camera. But if it's there next time I visit, maybe...

Old Apr 8, 2009, 2:19 PM   #4

Hi,

This is Kevin, owner of "The Ole' Texas Smokehouse" in Canton, Tx. The picture looks great! I try to keep with the theme of an old west town in 1850. I serve hickory smoked brisket, sausage, and ribs.

For breakfast I serve outside. Scrambled Eggs, Grilled Sausage and Bacon, Southwest Potatoes with tri-peppers, Grilled tortillas, and Fire Roasted Salsa.

The meats are slow smoked at 175 degrees using only hickory wood.

I am not sure if you have eaten with me, but please come on in! I am open on first monday weekends Thursday-Sunday.

Have a great day!

Kevin
theoletexassmokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2009, 9:31 PM   #5

Is that a Bush Pressman?
shadokachr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2009, 8:30 PM   #6

Yes, it is. I take it you like that kind of thing? It has always been my passion, after I got my first camera.

Old Apr 28, 2009, 8:35 PM   #7

Hey, Kevin, I hadn't been to First Monday in a few years, and was pleasantly surprised to see the changes.

I plan to be back this spring, and I will certainly stop by for a meal there.