Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Nov 12, 2003, 11:50 PM   #1

Default Campus Building at night

Would like any suggestions for better exposure.

Played around between ISO 400-800 and found this ISO 400 to have a little less niose and better uniformity in the light. Still think it was a bit too bright in the building and a tad dark outside. I was trying to get some exposure for the clouds in the back ground so it wouldn't just be a black sky as well.

Maybe just too much contrst between light sources?

Thanks!
Chael is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 13, 2003, 11:18 AM   #2

That is a difficult shot because of the high contrast, perhaps more than the camera can handle. I would recommend spot metering on one of the brighter areas. This would probably make the sky black but give good exposure of the building.

Another idea. This will require two separate shots and some work in Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, or whatever you use. First, spot meter as described above and shoot the building. Second, spot meter on the sky. This should give good exposure on the sky but the building will be a wash. Now, take the sky from the second shot and paste it into the first. It's a lot of work but will accomplish what you want.
calr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2003, 11:58 AM   #3

Thanks for the help. I'll have to give both those a try.

Great thing about digital is you can experiment without much hassle or cost. For learning it is great!
Old Nov 14, 2003, 3:36 PM   #4

The lighting may not be what you were looking for, but I like it. Some of the building's detail is lost in overexposed areas, but the overall effect is good.

Where is that, by the way?
UrbanPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2003, 6:09 PM   #5

It is Phoenix College, right across from the new administration building.

A bit of rambling:

Phoenix College is Arizona's original college, built in 1920. It was downtown and moved to its' current location at 15th avenue and Thomas in the 30's I believe. The campus there was composed of mostly red brick buildings.

In the last few years, thanks to the bond issue that passed in the 1990's the campus has been updated and expanded. Part of the architectural design was to keep that red brick look, but add in a crisp, tech type look for contrast. The Fanin Library, administration building and Dalby building were the results.