Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:37 AM   #1

Default New York Public Library

Pictures inside the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building on Fifth Avenue, NYC taken yesterday.

General Research Division
I used DPHDR's "Photographic" tone-map with default values.

Deborah, Jonathan F. P., Samuel Priest, and Adam R. Rose Main Reading Room
I used DPHDR's "Eye-Catching" tone-map with default values.

Two girls deciding the library is a great place to hang out, chat, and use their cellphones.
I used DPHDR's "Eye-Catching" tone-map with vivid set to 0.0 and saturation set to 0.70. I notice the colors are more natural-looking than #2.

C&C welcome. I'm thinking I should have taken #2 from the other end of the room so there's less emphasis on the "Copy Approval" sign on the desk on the left...
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:17 PM   #2

Were these all single shot photos? The color saturation for them all is too strong. The windows are blown out. And the overhead chandeliers are also overexposed. I can see so much potential in this room. Gorgeous ceiling. If any one of these shots is a 3 shot HDR could you post all three. Id love to have a go at it.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2009, 3:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bynx View Post
Were these all single shot photos? The color saturation for them all is too strong. The windows are blown out. And the overhead chandeliers are also overexposed. I can see so much potential in this room. Gorgeous ceiling. If any one of these shots is a 3 shot HDR could you post all three. Id love to have a go at it.
I'm not sure if this is going to work -- I uploaded the full 5 mb files...

Last edited by vvcarpio; Nov 20, 2009 at 7:48 PM. Reason: Uploaded to tinypic.com
Old Nov 20, 2009, 5:19 PM   #4

Somehow, just a link to them would be fine. You could post them at www.tinypic.com then post the link here.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 7:49 PM   #5

I uploaded the images to tinypics.com. I've never heard of that website. Thanks!
Old Nov 20, 2009, 8:50 PM   #6

tinypics is a good way to get files to anyones computer. Here is my take on the pic. What a gorgeous room. I just wish you had taken a very underexposed shot, shooting for the chandeliers and windows. But it looks fine as it stands. What is your opinion?
Attached Images

Last edited by Bynx; Nov 20, 2009 at 8:52 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 9:47 PM   #7

That is astounding, Bynx! I guess I haven't gotten past the too-much-ice-candy stage yet with HDR. Tonight I just might have. I'll have to learn how to do that in DPHDR.

I noticed also that the lights were too bright on my camera's LCD. So I took the following experimental shot with a higher speed and thought it was still too bright and didn't pursue.

Your version is just amazing. I'll keep at it till I get something close.
Old Nov 20, 2009, 10:06 PM   #8

Good luck vv. I wish I could go there and lie on my back in the middle of the walkway down the room. Id like to get a real good shot of the ceiling. Its gorgeous.
Old Nov 21, 2009, 8:22 PM   #9

Nice cooperative work.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2009, 7:35 AM   #10

Default I just couldn't resist the challenge:

I hope that vvcarpio will forgive me, but I just had to try what's in them. I must say, that those 3 exposures were fun to work with, because they are properly and very good exposed - Well done vvcarpio! You know your camera and it's settings!

Let me tell you what I have gotten here. 3 renderings of which the first one is done in Dynamic-Photo HDR (as vvcarpio did himself). Nr 2 and Nr. 3 are both done in Dynamix Pro (as Bynx did, I presume...?), but #2 is plain Details Enhancer HDR, while #3 is TC done with Tone Compressor.

P.S.: I hope that this will work, because I had som trouble this morning, loading up pictures, where I failed 2 times. I still think Steve's got an issue...

It did happen again! I loaded up #1 and #2 without any problems, but when I tried to upload # 3 - the "Manage Attachments"-window crashed on me 2 times!
Attached Images

Last edited by Walter_S; Nov 22, 2009 at 9:26 AM.
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote