Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jan 29, 2010, 3:59 PM   #1

Default Waldorf Astoria and St. Bartholomew Church

I took pictures of Waldorf Astoria and its neighbor, St. Bartholomew Church, yesterday and today. I'm basically using the structures to practice my straightening verticals and .

I think our eyes are expecting vertical lines to converge as they reach the sky and a certain bulging curvature at the center. I removed both aspects in the following edits.

Did I overdo?

#1.

#2.

#3.

Thanks!
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 29, 2010, 7:15 PM   #2

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

VV: To my eyes, the angles aren't quite square especially on #'s 2 and 3. On the first one, the perpsective appears a bit off (appears to widen as it ascends). Also it looks to me like the horizontal may be off a bit as well.

I've found that doing perspective correction as part of PP at times will correct one part of the image but throw another part off.

Not withstanding the perspective issue, there are great compositions (of course they seem to come very naturally to you)!
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 6:41 PM   #3

Thank you, jelpee, for your compliments and comments!

I made some adjustments to the images you mentioned. I also added a few more images.

I wanted to see what it was like to fix perspectives. Your description of correcting one part and throwing off another accurately describes my experience.

#4.

#5.

#6.

#7.

#8.

#9.

#10.

#11. I see many old churches in NYC some big some small nevertheless all exquisite in appearance and must have been imposing and dominating in the area they were in at the time they were built but are now dwarfs compared to the steel-and-glass office towers that surround them. There are building codes but none I would think address complementing your neighboring building which is one of the reasons I keep saying anything goes in NYC.

C&C welcome. Thank you for looking!

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jan 30, 2010 at 6:45 PM. Reason: Oops -- I keep using "complimenting" for "complementing".
Old Jan 30, 2010, 7:16 PM   #4
Super Moderator

hey vv. some nice detail shots in there. i really like the symmetry and parallels on 7 and 8.

i think with your building shots you are perspective correcting a little too much, they are actually starting to look bloated, which can look even wore than converging. if you are having that trouble, fix as much of convergence as you can without distorting too much. if its a bit converging i think that will look better than bloated.
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 8:11 PM   #5

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

vvcarpio,

You've done a great job with verticals and horizontals. Great framefilling, robust, powerful photography. Andreas Feininger would have liked them; a different kind of photo. more close up, but anyhow

//T
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2010, 8:37 PM   #6

Was the church open? It seems they are a business now and keep lousy hours. Sunday mornings only. Any other time make an appointment. Im not one for religions but I have to say its been responsible for the most beautiful buildings in the world being built. The stonework is outstanding and sadly, never to be seen again as churchs are now built of steel and glass without artistic merit. Id love to see the inside and especially that rosette. It must look great all illuminated high up in the darker recesses of the higher regions.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2010, 8:09 AM   #7

Thanks, Hards80. I feel I have a long way to go. I don't yet have a "feel" for if an image looks right or not. Taking "landscape" pictures in Manhattan, you can say I need to develop it fast . Your comments and suggestions will be very helpful.

Thanks, Torgny. I'm very much flattered, honored, and delighted to share the same paragraph with "Andreas Feininger" .

Thanks, Bynx. St. Bartholomew's Church in Park Ave. is Episcopal. I am not familiar with Protestant practices (or any other denomination's practices other than Roman Catholic) or if their churches are open to the general public so I did not go in. I think it's just a simple matter of asking for permission but I'd like to know first.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:19 PM   #8

Very good series again, vvcarpio!

You really are leaving us behind here, and go on from one terriffic NYC-series to another. You have a natural, good eye for composition and perspective, and your eyes compliment your tool (A350) very well. Or the other way 'round, I think!

Details in # 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 = I love!

# 11 = Very powerful picture of St. Bartholomew

;-)

Tell me. Whats the story on the Russian flag (?), flying next to the American Stars and Stripes on the front of The Waldorf Astoria? Also, another unknown flag outside St. Bartholomew's ...? # 2 + 11
Walter_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter_S View Post
Very good series again, vvcarpio!

You really are leaving us behind here, and go on from one terriffic NYC-series to another. You have a natural, good eye for composition and perspective, and your eyes compliment your tool (A350) very well. Or the other way 'round, I think!

Details in # 6 + 7 + 8 + 9 = I love!

# 11 = Very powerful picture of St. Bartholomew

;-)

Tell me. Whats the story on the Russian flag (?), flying next to the American Stars and Stripes on the front of The Waldorf Astoria? Also, another unknown flag outside St. Bartholomew's ...? # 2 + 11
Thanks a lot, Walter, for your comments and kind words!

I, too, noticed the Russian flag (I didn't know it was Russian at the time, but knew it was of a former USSR country) and wondered about it.

So last night, when I read your message, I googled up, "russian flag waldorf". To my surprise, the first hit was this thread. And you posted your question just 8 hours ago lol! Wow steves-digicams.com must rank high -- very high and therefore very important -- among search engines.

So I changed my search string to "flags waldorf" and found this website where someone said that when a head of state is staying at the Waldorf, then Waldorf flies the flag of that head of state's country.

Regarding St. Bart's flag, sorry I'm drawing a blank. The only thing I found is this picture. I'm guessing maybe it's some kind of coat of arms?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:51 AM   #10

I'm finding some over sharpening issues in this last series. That's a consequence of software aligning. You lose sharpness and you try to re sharpen the aligned pick.
If you're getting serious on building photography i guess you need a shift lens.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote