Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Mar 3, 2010, 5:27 AM   #11

First, thanks Torgny, for these photos. Love the colour. You see detail in the snow, as opposed it just seeing a blob of white. Beautiful red buildings, which we have here in Scandinavia.

Your last picture is great, too. The background seems about right to me, it sort of identifies your outdoor surrounding WITHOUT taking away from the subject. Buy, my, is your subject so very clear!!! It truly is. Good job. Tack så mycket!

Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:12 PM   #12

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eetu View Post
First, thanks Torgny, for these photos. Love the colour. You see detail in the snow, as opposed it just seeing a blob of white. Beautiful red buildings, which we have here in Scandinavia.

Your last picture is great, too. The background seems about right to me, it sort of identifies your outdoor surrounding WITHOUT taking away from the subject. Buy, my, is your subject so very clear!!! It truly is. Good job. Tack så mycket!

Ned

Ned,

Thank you. The colour you refer to is called "Falu rödfärg". The paint is non-toxic as pointed out by a science teacher who posts pictures in this forum. It has a special deep tone, hard to duplicate

For photographers it can be hard to maintain the same tone in every picture in a series. I gave it a try

Torgny
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 4:34 PM   #13

Torgny, have you ever brought those two fury Finnish girls of yours to Finland and photographed Finnish landscape? You are the one with the two Finnish dogs, as I recall. Thanks and all the best. Ned
Eetu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2010, 6:43 PM   #14

What a picturesque and beautiful little town! I agree about American humor. It's waaaaay to politically correct these days. We used to be able to laugh at ourselves. Now, it's "offensive".
My Gallery

--
Hebrews 13:3
gjtoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2010, 10:33 AM   #15

I enjoyed the pics. I also enjoy reading about local lore. Thanks for sharing.

The first pic in particular reminds me of Gaston's short sidekick, LeFou, in the movie "Beauty and the Beast" hiding in the snow.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2010, 6:29 AM   #16

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Eetu,

gjtoth,

vvcarpio

Thank you very much for viewing and the comments. Much appreciated

Torgny
Old Mar 6, 2010, 11:18 PM   #17

"Do you want a medal for that?"

My mom used to say that. She grew up in Wisconsin. I wonder if the Swedish immigrants brought it there. Great series, as usual.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 4:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Barbarian View Post
"Do you want a medal for that?"

My mom used to say that. She grew up in Wisconsin. I wonder if the Swedish immigrants brought it there. Great series, as usual.

The Barbarian,

Might very well be so. One fourth of the swedish population at the time moved to North America during the years of famine. This "attitude" (I am not fully aquainted with the current connotations of the word) is described very well by Norwegian writer Aksel Sandemose in one of his books. It's called the "Jante Law"

from Wikipdia

There are ten different rules in the law as defined by Sandemose, but they are all variations on a single theme and are usually referred to as a homogeneous unit: Don't think you're anyone special or that you're better than us.

That's quite the opposite to the North American spirit, as perceived. The low-down to the American "attitude" though is that people are mislead to think that they can make it too.

They can't. 1% of the population owns 95% of the wealth and entry to middle class is harder than ever

Torgny

PS

This attitude is in no way exclusive to Scandinavia. Compare with

Last edited by Torgny; Mar 8, 2010 at 4:46 PM.
Old Mar 8, 2010, 5:16 PM   #19

Deru kui wa utareru.
The stake that sticks out gets hammered down.

Japanese saying.

I hate the mere concept. Follow that and say good by to Mozart.
I keep this one in mind:

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.

Herman Melville.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2010, 5:47 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Deru kui wa utareru.
The stake that sticks out gets hammered down.

Japanese saying.

I hate the mere concept. Follow that and say good by to Mozart.
I keep this one in mind:

It is better to fail in originality than to succeed in imitation.

Herman Melville.

Agree,

Melville. Great. There is an even worse "saying", in a crappy translation: "That which is going to be crooked shall be bent in proper time" (regarding bringing up children)

Of course everybody is special (also individual dogs have distinct personalities). On the other hand, to me, there is some sense to the latter part of the summarization of the Jante Law

So, my take on it is that every one is special but no one is better than another

That's an anarchist's view: From each and everyone in accordance with their abilities; to each and every one in accordance with their needs

I find that reasonable. Well, this forum is labeled as a discussion forum

//T