Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancientritual View Post
... Sorry VVCARPIO did not mean to hijack your thread. Please do not consider this an act of terrorism.
No, not at all, Ancientritual -- I actually liked your comments a lot. Thanks!

I agree with you and shoturtle, too. Your views sound opposing but I actually think donít. Iíd say theyíre complementary.

Regarding the cop, Iím now convinced itís all about terrorism. Our daughter said Lockheed Martin is in Endicott, too. And that, according to our daughter, is a terrorist magnet. When I look it up on Google Maps, Lockheed Martin also shows up at the IBM buildings. So maybe thatís why the buildings are blurred in Google Maps.

So the cop was really being very nice. We are ethnics (although we tend to forget that after living in melting-pot NYC for so long) and the cop probably didnít want us to think he was stereotyping us in any way. He probably canít say no either and didnít want us to stop shooting pictures Ė heavens, definitely not scare us by asking us for identification which I would have happily obliged. It would be my way of helping our cops breathe a little easier. But he had to do what heís paid to do so at least he had to ask.

In contrast, Iíve met lots of building security guards in NYC who are rude and sometimes go on power trips. If you come to NYC and visit only the American Museum of Natural History until closing hours, you might leave with the impression that New Yorkers need to learn some manners when you are ushered -- Iíd say kicked -- out of the building.

But going back to Endicott, I agree -- I think the cop doesnít have adequate training to differentiate terrorist from civilian. I think we could have very easily been ruled out of the ďsuspicious-lookingĒ category.

Then again, maybe heís aware of his shortcoming if we can call it that. And probably thought it was better to be safe than sorry so he did what he did. If so, then Iíd say more power to him and to good and honest cops like him for keeping our towns, cities, and -- you never know -- our country, too, safe.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torgny View Post
Excellent, vv,

Verticals impeccable. You really struggled with angels, sorry, angles, and managed very well

We have an IBM house in this city, if I may

Torgny
Thanks, Torgny! Yes, I didnít expect to be shooting buildings outside of New York City and definitely not in upstate NY where there is plenty of open landscape. I thought I could get some respite from correcting perspectives for a change, but there we were, shooting buildings in the boondocks .
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggo85 View Post
Interesting story and interesting shots... but the sky looks kinda weird in the IBM Building shots (why is it so noisy?)
Thanks, maggo85. Yes, I noticed the noise in the clouds, too. I donít yet have fix on what caused it -- it also happened in my East River Esplanade shots. But I know I changed my methods. The shots I am taking now have at least five exposures, most have 7 or 9, because I want really dark exposures included in the HDR set so I can get some features from the clouds. Still, after the DPHDR edit the clouds often end up featureless so I darken them some more in PSE. Thatís when the grains appear. Iím not yet one hundred percent sure but I think if I omit some or add some more shots in the HDR set the noise might go away. I will have to experiment.

For now, for my #3 Esplanade shot, I cheated by using Gaussian blur on the clouds to reduce the noise.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:03 PM   #14

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Hey, guys,

Someones are fooling you to get frightened

//T

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote