Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Apr 27, 2010, 9:42 PM   #21

Thanks, all, for taking the time to comment!

I've heard of the place and wanted to visit it but not on a bright and sunny day. I wanted it overcast. Fortunately, it rained. We went there with the clouds gray and the rain drizzling.

I would have been content with exterior shots only (although sadly wanting...) which was why I wanted gloomy weather. We parked just outside the building and started shooting when we saw four people casually walk out of the building.

There were no “no trespassing” signs. We took some more exterior shots before we, too, decided to go in. (Not sure if that’s smart, though…)

Inside it’s just like a church. As Bynx would say, it’s made for HDR photography. There were plenty of details and dramatic lighting. And the coffin, the swiveling chair (which my daughter said had straps to keep the occupant seated), couches, sagging floor, etc. are close to one another by the entrance so we didn’t have to go wandering far inside.

I wish the building would be turned into part of a guided walking tour. I would pay admission to get inside a place like that -- as we did at Roberson Mansion in Binghamton last year and plan to at other known haunted museums in our area specifically the Gomez Mill House in Newburgh -- and not some phony haunted house at a theme park.

I have to say when I first saw the coffin in the building I paused instinctively. I guess I was in disbelief trying to fathom what my eyes were seeing. I don’t think I was spooked. I was more excited than anything.

But later at home when post-processing the coffin pic by myself at night, looking at it for long periods of time trying to decide which combination of contrast, saturation, and whatnot looked best, I have to admit that when the phone beside me rang -- just like in the movies -- I jumped out of my chair and almost had a heart attack.

I added some more pics. Some are taken by my wife.

#14) I can’t get enough of the coffin so here’s another shot.

#15) Door and windows.

#16) Exterior.

#17) Side door and path.

#18) Window.

#19) There were other abandoned buildings in the area...

#20) ...

#21) ...as well as working ones.

Thank you for looking!
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2010, 11:51 PM   #22

Wow a very nice set. #9 rises to the top in my opinion. A very stunning image. Followed by #12 and #15. Sometimes you just have to be bold. Just watch out for old security guards that have a shotgun and suffer from the shakes...
Ancientritual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:43 AM   #23

Thanks a lot, AncientRitual!

I added one more. After this, other than more exterior shots, I don't know if have any more. Sorry. I didn't take a lot. I really wish it would become part of some town-sponsored guided tour. They do stuff like that (that comes with a fee) for mountain hikes in our area why not abandoned buildings? That way I can take friends there.

#22)
Old May 2, 2010, 2:51 AM   #24

More great scenes what lens or lenses where you using on those?
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2010, 11:27 AM   #25

vvcarpio

Great post. You found a very interesting subject and did a great job in capturing it's history and aura. Your PP skills are displayed well with this set of photo's.
This one gets an A+.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 7:45 AM   #26

Thanks, musket! I'm using a Tamron 18mm-200mm lens. According to reviews I read here, it performs just about on par with the Sony 17mm-70mm lens I replaced.

Thanks lomitamike! I learned (through googling) that the campus was established in 1874. Old mental institutions like this are today fodder for urban legends mostly gory and scary. But back in the day, it was actually a major first step towards improving conditions for the treatment of the largely forgotten mentally ill. And the impression I get is it all started with the activism of Dorothea Dix who lobbied state legislatures and the Congress for the creation of mental asylums.

#23) Nurse's Station on the left. The building looks maintained. I don't know what it's used for today.
Old May 3, 2010, 4:46 PM   #27

The Tamron seems to be doing the business

and another nice one as well
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2010, 9:56 PM   #28

Thanks, musket!
Old May 6, 2010, 7:24 AM   #29

The moods set in these pictures are breathtaking !
Chills goes down my spine

Flikkaarrrr
Acapulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2010, 10:41 AM   #30

Thanks, Acapulco!

While taking #6 (the shot with my daughter as “ghost”), I was actually standing at the foot of the coffin right behind me. During the 30-second exposure while my daughter stood in front of me, if she pretended to see something behind me and feigned terror, I would have ran out of there screaming, my hands high in the air, leaving my camera and tripod behind.

To all, I added two more.

#24) The campus is really a nice park to walk around in...

#25) ... and even has a children’s playground beside the abandoned asylum as if to say, “Go ahead, leave your kids here while you tour the asylum...”