Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:12 AM   #1

Default The New Church on 35th Street

I took pictures of The New Church on 35th Street. The church is small and looks more like a chapel in a hospital or the one I remember we had in college. But as you can see from the pictures, the church’s light colors make it look clean, warm, and inviting -- a welcome break from the traditional Gothic architecture of old churches. As a house of prayer, I’d say it serves its purpose well. It was unimposing and felt homey.

I also met two people there -- a man who initially was reading a book and didn’t look up when I entered the building and walked tentatively past him as if to say, “Go ahead, make your way insides our church”, and a woman who looked puzzled when I asked if I may take pictures and said, “Yes, I guess”, as if I need not have asked.

Soon after I was done taking pictures the three of us were conversing about Photoshop and its many bewildering features. I'd say the people I met at the New Church were warm and friendly and never once made me feel like the intruder that I was. They seemed to have a genuine curiosity at what I was doing.

I have not heard of Emanuel Swedenborg before, the Swede mystic whose theology forms the teachings of the New Church. The New Church’s website quotes Emanuel Swedenborg as saying, “All people who live good lives, no matter what their religion, have a place in heaven.”

I wondered if that quote ran counter to a religion’s goal which is usually to increase converts. It's like saying if you already have faith then stay where you are. You don't have to switch religions. Just live a good life and you will do fine.

Then again, maybe the irony is that is precisely the reason why The New Church has flourished for the past two hundred years in many parts of the world. The freedom to think freely or walk away at any time to find truth elsewhere keeps the flock somehow reined in.

#1)

#2)

#3)

#4)

#5)

#6)

Thank you for looking! C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 29, 2010, 10:21 AM   #2

Very nice shots. I especially like #1 and the last 2. Thanks for sharing, and for the most interesting narrative.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2010, 7:47 PM   #3

Impeccable picks. There's some flare in #2 but i think we can forgive you, he, he.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2010, 7:54 AM   #4

Thanks, Walter and Ordo!

Yes, I see the flare in #2. It is especially noticeable because I want the pictures to be clean to reflect the cleanliness of the church.

Is there a way to prevent flares at the time of shooting (and not during post-processing)? I don't think it would be visible on the viewfinder or liveview screen but then again I wasn't looking for them.

In any case, I added one more, where I don't see flares.

#7)
Old Apr 30, 2010, 6:05 PM   #5

A polarizer filter may help.
Ordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2010, 7:00 AM   #6

Oh, OK. Thanks, Ordo.