Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jun 13, 2010, 1:24 PM   #1

Default New York City- What to Photograph

My Wife and I will be spending 5 days in New York the second week of July. Just wondering besides the obvious what are some places that anyone can recommend photographing while in New York City. Please don't be shy fire away all suggestions will be welcomed and appreciated. Also I would like to purchase a remote shutter release for my Pentax*ist DL2 any good camera stores I should go to while in N.Y, and what should I pay for it.
Thanks in advance to all members for any input.
quartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2010, 2:03 PM   #2

Well the fishing hole down in battery park city is a good spot for shooting, and the brooklyn bridge is a good spot also. The South Street Seaport is a good local also. In the Chelsea area, the High Line Park is a nice photograph area with some nice view. But there are so much to shoot in NYC. I can go on and on just in manhattan.

VV and I have posted tons or different areas in Manhattan in Architectural and People photo forum.

If you are in downtown manhattan J and R on park row is a good shop.
But you have adorama on 18th street between 5th and 6th ave. Everything you every need for camera are sold there.
The is also BH on 9th ave and 34th street.
17th street photo is on the next block form adorama, but they do not carry pentax.

If you have any particle photo site interest, feel free to PM me. There is just so much to shoot in Manhattan, not to mention from Brooklyn and Queens.
Old Jun 14, 2010, 5:41 AM   #3

As some of you guys know, I'll be at NYC in August about a week - and I've got two big questions:

1. Empire State Building or Rockefeller Center? We'd like to enjoy the sunset and "blue hour" on top of one of them.. I guess the "top of the rocks" would be the better option because you can see the ESB and you have no glass or fence surround you - am I right?

2. Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge from Brooklyn to Manhattan at sunrise or sunset? Really not sure when the view and the light is "more beautiful"

And of course I'd love to get to know some "secret" (not so well-known) photography spots besides the "typical" tourist sites everybody shoots

2 x EOS 6D | 24/1.4 ART | 35/1.4 ART | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 135/2L
maggo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2010, 10:20 AM   #4

There are more to shoot at Rockefeller center to be honest
I would do the sun set, from brooklyn to manhattan, that way you can shoot form the promenade and the new park right next to it of NYC harbor if you get over to the brooklyn side early
Old Jun 16, 2010, 11:18 AM   #5

I second shoturtle on his list of photo stores. I've been to B&H, Adorama, and J&R. I'd rank staff friendliness in the order presented. B&H is a little out of the way (but definitely worth going to) while Adorama and J&R is smack in a busy, touristy place.

If you like interiors, don't forget to check out free museum admissions on certain days and/or hours: http://gonyc.about.com/cs/museums/a/museumdeals.htm
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2010, 10:44 PM   #6

As you like to photograph buildings, you can do the tenements of the lower east side on ludlow and orchard street. The building were built around the turn of the 19th century.