Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:26 PM   #1

Default Town of Oshawa and Parkwood Estate

Below are some pics I took in the town of Oshawa and at the Estate where Bynx was kind enough to take me and my wife (with our son tagging along) for a tour. "The Parkwood Estate...was the home of Samuel McLaughlin (founder of General Motors of Canada)." (source: wikipedia.org)

#1) Mural. There are many murals in Oshawa. Bynx showed us and told us about the murals we passed.

#2) Tattoo Parlor on Simcoe Street. No, Bynx didn't show us this. I just turned my head and the red car's reflection on the tattoo parlor's window caught my eye.

#3) One of many statues at Parkwood Estate.

#4) Pool.

#5) Pool taken from a low angle.

#6) Garden shelter.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2010, 7:28 PM   #2

I like the way the low angle shot of the gazebo reveals details we would never see.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2010, 8:15 PM   #3

Yes I like your low angles in 5 and 6. My favorite shot here is 3. Ten people can walk through there and you will get 10 different views. Almost like it was 10 different places. Nice job Billy. I did a little perspective fix on the mural. It was a good time to shoot that without a parked car in front or shadows from the sun.
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 8:57 AM   #4

Thank you, frank-in-toronto and Bynx, for taking the time to comment and your compliments.

For #3, I actually applied a post-processing technique I was just reading from a book. I created a layer of the statue to separate it (and to not be affected by the pp steps that follow), then duplicated the background in another layer. I used Gaussian blur to blur the duplicate layer then set its opacity to around 50% (from a default 100%) and blending mode to "multiply", then merged all three layers. I'm glad to know it worked. I'll post the original pic later (when I get home) so you can see the difference.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:42 AM   #5

Bynx, I forgot to say, I like what you did with the mural. I have one with a shadow cutting diagonally across -- I'll pp later and see how it works.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:42 PM   #6

Great shots. I also like the low angle on some of the shots.

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:24 PM   #7

Thanks a lot, Daniel. I like the tiltable LCD on the back of my Sony A350 as I can extend it in a Z-shape and use it as support for tilting my camera on the ground to point upward while I take a bracket of 3 shots.

As I mentioned earlier, below (#7) is the output from DPHDR which I used to create #3.

#7) DPHDR output with no further processing (other than resizing).

#8) Here's another mural that Bynx showed us. I posted #1 above because it's a "cleaner" shot but was also curious what the shadow on the mural below would add to the photo if any.

Other than showing it's a mural that leads to an alley, I think #1 is still the better shot.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 9:33 PM   #8

Definitely #1 is better. Too bad you couldn't get a better angle or no shade line on this one. Maybe if it had been a cloudy day? I am big interested in small towns and am often disappointed in how little work the ontario small towns have done to celebrate their past. just giving up tourist dollars.
frank-in-toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2010, 7:50 AM   #9

Yes, Oshawa has this little gem of a restaurant that Bynx took us to -- Teddy's on King Street. Food is great not to mention their delicious coconut cream pie as the line of people waiting to get seated on a typically sleepy Sunday noon would attest. It should be on a tourist brochure for Oshawa.
Old Jul 16, 2010, 8:44 AM   #10

you have a very keen eye. i always enjoy your series...great work