Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Nov 11, 2010, 7:32 AM   #11

Hi, Paul. It was actually very dark inside. I didn't see any source of artificial lighting and wondered how they would conduct evening -- or even daytime -- services. They would have to bring in lamps. So my thoughts were to capture the darkness without losing detail. I actually wanted to darken them even more and leave only the colored slabs of light coming through the stained glass windows but wasn't happy at the results. But you're right. The place need not be as dark especially when the eyes begin to adjust.

Thanks, Frank. They say you don't really need a physical place like a church to express faith because truth is within. But in the event you need one, this church -- as do most other churches -- is there for you to find peace, solace, and maybe even sanctuary.

#12) Three vehicles -- a commercial van followed by two cars -- pulled in while I was taking exterior photos. License plates were all New Jersey. I'd say the vehicles hadn't come yet to a full stop when people of all ages -- from the 50s to teens, I'd say -- started pouring out and headed fast toward the stone arch. Just before they left I asked if they were going to Sam's Point. What looked to me like a dad in dark sunglasses said, "Yeah" with a big grin. I then gave them a little info about the church to take with them.

(I didn't know then yet the church door was unlocked -- it didn't budge the first time I tugged.)
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2010, 8:12 AM   #12

The church must obviously be out of the way of thugs with stones. I dont see any wired protection glass protecting the actual stained glass. It must be a pleasure to get a good clean image.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2010, 3:53 PM   #13

The road to the church passes through pretty much the whole town of Cragsmoor and I think the only way out is the only way in. I suppose that makes it less than ideal for vandals. Still, wire mesh could protect the stained glass windows from, say, tree branches being blown by a storm.

#13)
Old Nov 12, 2010, 5:45 PM   #14

Super stunning pics as usuall Vv. really enjoyed looking at them. I haven't a Fave as I like them all so much. The detail and light inside is amazing. Brilliant. You are constantly churning out so many Fantastic an interesting pictures. It's a real treat to see your vision of all these places you get to.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2010, 8:27 AM   #15

Thanks a lot, condorman. About a year ago when I was just starting out here, steves-digicamer bhammit said I have "a beautiful area to photograph". I am actually just starting to realize that now.

#14) Top plaque on the rear wall reads:

This Chapel is dedicated
to the Glory of God
and in remembrance of
Eliza Gardiner Hartshorn,
entered into life everlasting
September 16, 1916, aged 85
Of your charity pray for her soul

Eliza G. Harsthorn was the woman who vacationed here from Rhode Island who had the church built in 1895 (completed in 1897).
Old Nov 17, 2010, 6:48 AM   #16

Excellent series of shots and scenes as usual... thanks for sharing them with us
musket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2010, 7:59 AM   #17

Thanks, musket.

The following pics are not really part of the Cragsmoor Stone Church (I think I've posted all that I've taken of it except for some less interesting exterior shots) but you'd pass them on the way to the church and to Sam's Point, too. They're standing side-by-side.

#15) The Cragsmoor Free Library was built by Eliza G. Hartshorn and designed by Frederick Dellenbaugh who also built the Cragsmoor Stone Church. According to the New York Times, "As the only residential community on the Shawangunk Ridge, Cragsmoor, a hamlet of roughly four square miles, is in many ways a world unto itself. The two rural roads that lead there also end there; no one is ever just passing through. Cragsmoor's center consists of little more than the small but well-stocked Free Library and a post office."

#16) The Cragsmoor Historical Societ building used to be the Cragsmoor Federated Church.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 11:23 AM   #18

Seems a very interesting place...

Are the columns framing the entrance to the library warped...? Possibley faux
stone columns made from wood...?
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2010, 3:18 PM   #19

You're right -- I didn't notice the columns being warped. I didn't do any lens distortion correction so they must indeed be warped. Like you say, I'm guessing they're logs and not stone pillars.
Old Nov 19, 2010, 4:55 PM   #20

The resting bench on that short bridge is a hoot. Or perhaps its an elevated bicycle path. It could be a sliding edge for skateboarders. But I suppose its just a constant resting spot for those old timers taking a long walk off a short bridge.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote