Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Nov 8, 2010, 9:39 AM   #1

Default Cragsmoor Stone Church -- Interior

The administrator of the Cragsmoor Stone Church said he and his church community loved the photos I took of the church's exterior and told me I should come in next time and take pictures of the interior. So I did. Below are the photos I took.

#1) Nave.

#2) Altar.

#3) Rose window.

#4) Pews.

#5) Window left of altar.

#6) Window right of altar.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 8, 2010, 10:34 AM   #2
Super Moderator

its a nice looking building inside too. and these are well done. my favorite is shot #1 for the simple symmetry.

my critique is that for any shot with a window, there is a bit extra glow around them that looks very unnatural to me. otherwise i liked this set alot.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 1:44 PM   #3

Lovely building...

You did an excellent job with these...!
Wizzard0003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 2:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard0003 View Post
Lovely building...

You did an excellent job with these...!
Agree completely. It is also nice that you were given the invitation to return and take photographs of the interior.

Regards
bluenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:21 PM   #5

Excellent shooting Billy. You have captured that church very well.
Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 8, 2010, 4:38 PM   #6

Just great, as usual. These shots made me think of the many variations of worship that can be found in most communities. This church, for whatever reason, evokes a sense of reserve and formality -- where one would seldom if ever hear a voice raised to offer a "Hallelujah!", or "Amen!". Not that its bad...its just one form of worship among many. A place for quiet reflection.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 7:21 AM   #7

Great looking shots as always and a beautiful church

Best regards/Daniel
DSProtection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2010, 9:17 AM   #8

Thanks, all, for the compliments and comments.

Hards80, I'm just guessing maybe I should remove my polarizing filter when shooting indoors. I haven't checked yet but maybe it has smudges.

Wizzard0003, "lovely building" is very appropriate especially since The New York Times says it is "lovingly maintained".

bluenose, yes the church administrator (not really sure what to call him), Jeffrey Slade, was very nice. After I e-mailed him just to say the church is welcome to use the pictures I took, he e-mailed back saying next time I should take interior shots and to make sure I walk all the way to the altar because of the two stained glass windows on either side.

Paul, I spent more time inside than I intended. When I was about done, I realized my camera was set at ISO 200 so I had to re-shoot all over again at ISO 100. I had permission to take all the pictures I wanted (indeed, I was pretty much invited without asking) but still, I didnít want to overindulge.

When I came out there was a white car parked outside with an old woman sunk in the backseat and what appeared to me her chauffeur based on his straight back posture in the driver seat. I canít make out if there was a third person on the front passenger seat. They all sat very still and as far as I can tell didnít look in my direction while I walked around some more to take exterior shots. I canít help but think she may be the owner of the church, or maybe a descendant of the late Eliza G. Hartshorn, originally of Rhode Island, the woman who had the church built in 1897, making sure I was not a vandal.

In retrospect, though, I think itís just paranoia on my part because I thought I spent too long inside, about 30 minutes, unsupervised. It was a beautiful church on a beautiful day on a beautiful mountaintop and the experience of photographing the place to my heartís desire was just a bit too overwhelming.

Walter, yes I think your description of ďa place for quiet reflectionĒ is very appropriate. The churchís website says its environment is ďunsurpassed for meditation and worship.Ē Seeing the church all empty on a weekend with the door unlocked, you do get the feeling that all are welcome to reflect and/or meditate.

Daniel, yes itís a beautiful church. The administrator e-mailed me saying something like for the past 100 years photographs have been taken of the church but none as good as mine. I was very much tempted to just reply, ďAhem,Ē and leave it at that , but I explained Iím doing HDR to somehow imply that after 100 years, maybe the best tools in photography have finally arrived.

#7) Pulpit.

#8) Pews seen from the back. On the left-most window (which actually faces you as you enter the front door) "are symbols from eight of the world's major religions, from Christianity and Islam to Buddhism and Native American faiths" which affirms the prophet Isaiah's message: "For my house shall be a house of prayer for all peoples" (Isaiah 56:7).

#9) Nave seen from the altar.

#10) Cragsmoor Stone Church -- "Church of the Holy Name" on a clear fall day.

#11) View of the Shawangunk Ridge from the stone arch. Two weeks after I came here to take pictures, most of the leaves are gone.

vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 8:38 PM   #9

It seems a few of your shots are pretty dark and dreary. I think its from pp rather than from underexposure. Does my lightening of the interior make any sense to you?
Attached Images

Bynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 10, 2010, 9:49 PM   #10

From my viewpoint, I love the architecture of both the inside and the outside. It simply is stone cold beautiful. The way they supported the roof with the right angle supported by the 45 triangle and streight posting is ingenious. I would bet this one will be standing for many more years! WOW. just mesmerizing photos...
Frank
hkmp50 is offline   Reply With Quote