Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jan 30, 2011, 11:17 AM   #1

Default Rockefeller Center Buildings

I took these pictures last Friday when the sky can't seem to decide on whether to dump more snow on New York City just one day past the previous snowstorm. The city has already had seven snowstorms and more than twice its average snowfall for the season. And it's barely past the first month of winter so there are two more winter months to go.

But wily New Yorkers know better. This is just Mother Nature being in her characteristically insouciant mood. More snow is forecast for New York City on Tuesday and Wednesday.

#1) GE Building. It is the centerpiece in Rockefeller Center. The building was completed in 1933 in art deco style.

#2) Atlas statue at Rockefeller Center. The statue is often associated with Ayn Rand's philosophy of "objectivism" which holds that "reality exists independent of consciousness", a premise on which materialist science is founded, and that "the proper moral purpose of one's life is the pursuit of one's own happiness". (source: wikipedia.org) By his own admission, Alan Greenspan ("The Age of Turbulence", 2007) is influenced by Ayn Rand's philosophy.

#3) Promenade at Rockefeller Center. I'm not sure if it's by accident or design but the building in front, Saks Fifth Avenue, and the more modern building behind it seems to align with the Promenade to maintain its symmetry.

#4) I was surprised to find the Promenade virtually empty and at noon at that when it's usually crowded with tourists. So I took photos to my heart's content within my one-hour lunch break.

#5) A cluster of Rockefeller Center buildings. There are 19 buildings in Rockefeller Center. (A corner of the Saks Fifth Avenue building is partially visible top left.)

#6) Unlike two other prominent New York City buildings, the Empire State and the Chrysler buildings, which look the same when viewed from any angle, the GE building at Rockefeller Center (partly covered by the crane) looks different when viewed from the side and almost bears no resemblance to itself whose front forms one of the most recognized buildings in the world.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Jan 30, 2011 at 12:18 PM.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 31, 2011, 12:00 PM   #2

Nice work although my first reaction was that I was seeing Batman's Gotham City.

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 3:41 PM   #3

Thanks, A. C. That's probably because NYC is also home to many super-heroes. Sometimes, I'd be lunching at McDonald's and see the Fantastic Four at the next table suddenly get up and leave in a hurry I suppose to respond to some emergency just kidding...

#7) Saint Patrick's Cathedral is actually in front of the Atlas statue.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 4:05 PM   #4

NICE shots! I love the dramatic sky!
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2011, 10:18 PM   #5

I see how that would happen in a NY McDonald. Wonder what happens at Javier's McDonald in LA, Kirk & Spock?

A. C.
ac.smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 8:29 AM   #6

Nice photos as per usual. Gives me something
to aspire to.

John 6:53-55
flasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2011, 8:54 AM   #7

A.C.: "Beam me up, Scotty!"

Thanks, cmoy, flasha.

#8) I took this picture of the GE Building lobby entrance yesterday when the day was sunny and clear (albeit cold). Today and tomorrow, it's back to gray skies and winterstorms with snow, ice, and rain in the forecast.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 6:28 AM   #8

Certainly looks cold with the people shivering
in photo that much lol. Nice shot also nice color.
How long was the exposure?

John 6:53-55
flasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:50 AM   #9

Thanks, flasha.

I often shoot at the smallest aperture, f/22, so I can set for long shutter speeds. The pics here are HDR so I took a couple for each. For the last one, for example, the longest speed was 6 seconds and the shortest speed was 1/2 sec.

I shoot at f/22 and slow shutter speeds so I don't have to worry about people walking across my frame because they become "invisible". An added benefit to small aperture is that round light sources like the sun or lamppost lights generate a star-like pattern around them.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 3:10 AM   #10

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat work Billy. 1 2 and 7 for me, nothing short of FANTASMAJORICAL! Amazing angle, lighting, Pp.
Great job.
Mark

Lumix Fx-01

d5000
condorman is offline   Reply With Quote