Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Aug 1, 2011, 9:03 AM   #11

Thanks, JeannieBug. I was taking interior pictures only from one side of the church because, as I explained to the photographer I met there, I wanted to take a straight-on shot of the rose window but I didn't want to mount my tripod in the middle of the great cavern.

He said, "But that's what being a photographer is about. You shouldn't be shy."

I thought then he hit the nail on the head as I tended to be shy (probably a more politically-correct term for a less than exemplary lack-of-character on my part) when photographing people and places.

He urged me in his foreign accent to "go ahead" then backtracked and said "maybe not" when he saw security walking by us.

He then asked security in a manner lacking any inhibition if it was OK to take pictures.

The security said, not right now because a mass just started but after the mass we "can take all the pictures you want" as he continued striding by us.

We parted ways after exchanging oh-well’s but not before introducing myself and steves-digicams.com.

I wish I could take more pictures but could not wait for the service to end -- I had to find a bar nearby to catch the US-Japan soccer match on TV -- so I left.

On the front steps on my way out I heard the photographer say, “See you, Steve!”

I said, “No, my name’s not Steve, it’s Billy.”

He said, “Oh.”

And after some friendly waves, again we parted ways, this time for good.

My apologies for the long reply.

Hopefully to compensate is another picture I took from the rooftop of a building uptown after watching the US-Japan soccer match. (The US lost.)

#11) Intersection of Broadway and Columbus Avenues uptown. Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts is on the left.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2011, 11:54 AM   #12

Makes me a bit annoyed I didn't visit it when I was staying nearby a couple of years ago. Great pictures.

I should think it unlikely they'd hold "Mass" in this building, as that really only applies to Roman Catholic and "High" Protestant churches.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:03 PM   #13

Oops I meant "service". Thanks for the correction -- and compliments!
Old Aug 1, 2011, 1:37 PM   #14

No, you DID say "Service". Someone else said "Mass".

What camera/lens did you use? I can't get any EXIF info to display.

Last edited by peterbj7; Aug 1, 2011 at 1:40 PM.
peterbj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2011, 3:03 PM   #15

Thanks, Peter. I used a Sony A350 with a Tamron 10-24 lens. I used the 10mm end.

Weird I don't do anything with the EXIF but sometimes along the way I notice it gets removed. DPHDR (or its image-editing add-on, Photobee) or Photoshop can't tell. I also use different PCs so one may be set to remove it. I'll look into it.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 3:23 PM   #16

I said "mass". I apologize for the error and any offense it may have caused...

Love the uptown shot, carpio!
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:46 AM   #17

Thanks, JennieBug.

Even with all the high rises in NYC, I don't know of any place where I (or anyone) can go up freely and shoot from above. Even though I have worked in some, the floor's perimeter where all the windows with the great views are were always lined with offices occupied by VIPs.

The uptown pic was taken from the Empire Hotel's rooftop where a very upscale pad and bar and very pretty waitress (not really sure what to call it) is located. A handsome crowd was, um, cavorting at the time and there were some old couples here and there. My wife just happened to know a friend on fb who, being an accountant and single can afford living the life in NYC so took us there.

But most of the time, my pictures are taken from the streets.

#12) This one was taken in June.
Old Aug 8, 2011, 6:18 AM   #18

Very impressive cathedral - I know that I would have taken a lot of images, too . Thanks for sharing.

I know, that some people say: "oh no - not a cathedral again... what do you want inside, you saw one of these last week..." but whenever I can manage I try to get some quiet moments in these (almost) magical buildings. It bothers me a bit, that people/visitors rush in and out and make it a hectic place at times. They stay inside like 2-5 minutes and then move on... oh well.

Kind regards,
Th.

P.S. Postprocessing is a bit on the strong side for me.
P.P.S. Note to self: I really need a lens wider than the 18mm kit
thkn777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2011, 8:50 PM   #19

I have spent a lot of my life in cathedrals, mainly singing (in choirs). There are still many I haven't visited, but to me the ultimate experience is to be found in Lincoln Minster in northern England.

I've actually been contemplating a mini photographic tour of European cathedrals. I've never been to St Peter's, Vatican and that is a must. I have been many years ago to both Cologne and Chartres and want to go back with a camera. Any other particular suggestions?
Old Aug 8, 2011, 9:16 PM   #20

Wow, vv! That's an amazing image!

I was very lucky, when I lived in Pittsburgh, in that I worked in a hospital that had awesome windows and fantastic views! Pittsburgh is a lot like New York, in that you have a very large population that is crammed into a very small space. So, lots of buildings of varying heights to play with.
JeannieBug is offline   Reply With Quote