Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Sep 16, 2011, 9:28 AM   #1

Default Riverside Church, Upper Westside, NYC

Riverside Church in the Morningside Heights section of New York City is the tallest church in the United States (24th in the world). Neo-gothic in design, construction began in 1927 and was completed in 1930 (source: http://www.theriversidechurchny.org). It was funded largely by John D. Rockefeller, Jr., the only son of oil magnate, John D. Rockefeller, Sr.

Since its construction, the Church has been a "center for lively political discussion" (source: wikipedia.org) and described by the New York Times as "a stronghold of activism and political debate." Among the notables who spoke in its pulpit are Martin Luther King, Jr., Nelson Mandela, Fidel Castro, and Kofi Annan.

With this roster of high-caliber speakers inside an opulent structure compounded by the backing of a financial behemoth no less than a Rockefeller, one might think that Riverside Church is exclusive to New York’s powerful and elite. Yet despite that, the Church operates at the community level. Its programs -- yoga, meditation, narcotics anonymous, among many others -- foster a commitment “towards mature, effective Christian living.”

And, as envisioned by its instigator, the philanthropist John D. Rockefeller Jr., Riverside Church -- although affiliated with the United Church of Christ and the American Baptist Churches -- was built from the ground up to be and continues to be interdenominational. It is welcoming of all Christians regardless of ethnicity, religious background, and economic stature.

If you are looking for a church home, so hails its website, “Join us here at the Riverside Church”. There, “you will be welcomed with a hearty handshake or more likely a hug."

#1) Riverside Church.

#2) Nave.

#3) Gallery.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome.

Last edited by vvcarpio; Sep 16, 2011 at 10:00 AM.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2011, 10:35 AM   #2

very fine capture of the grand church.
wanaclick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2011, 4:58 PM   #3

Love the angle of the first one. Maybe its my eye, but i think you pushed the fill light a bit too much as i can see a halo around the church ( maby the halo was there already, it being a church! eh... eh!!!).

Still, great image.
schmintan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2011, 3:28 PM   #4

Thank you, wanaclick, schmintan.

schmintan, I see the halo but very faint on my monitor. I used Topaz's preset that creates the least halo ("strong detail" -- none as far as I could tell) so it could be PS that caused it. I actually let PS decide on the sky color -- originally blue which it turned to nearly b&w with its auto-tone, auto-color, and auto-contrast settings.

#4) Altar.

#5) Its 400-foot tower makes Riverside Church the tallest church in the United States.. It also has the largest carillon (bellfry or bell tower) in the world.
Old Sep 18, 2011, 8:50 PM   #5

Great research and shots.

I'm still measuring up all the different HDR offerings. Have you tried anything besides Topaz?

What where the most important factors that convinced you to go with Topaz?

Your HDR shots have been the most impressive I've seen and I'm ready to try it.
lomitamike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 1:22 PM   #6

Thank you for the compliment, lomitamike.

I'm actually using Dynamic Photo HDR (http://www.mediachance.com) to first create an HDR image. Then I use Topaz to further enhance my HDR image.

Occasionally, I will download new HDR software to try, but always I ended up going back to DPHDR. My test HDR images did not vary much with DPHDR's so I didn't bother learning a new barrage of sliders and controls that I always found daunting anyway. Besides, I find DPHDR’s pin-alignment and anti-ghosting tools indispensable.

I was impressed by Topaz after seeing samples here: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/pl...s-4th-gen.html, in particular Guillermo Villas' pictures, and after reading in this forum how Topaz DeNoise beats the competition. After trying Topaz Adjust myself on some pictures of clouds, I was sold.

#6) Riverside Church's bell tower is a prominent feature of the upper Manhattan skyline especially when seen from New Jersey, because the church is essentially situated on a long bluff overlooking the Hudson River.
Old Sep 19, 2011, 6:21 PM   #7

Location: Northeast Passage 10; Gothenburg, Sweden, Northern Europe, Planet Earth, Outskirts of Milky Way, Uni

Heard much about it. Not only for religion, also for lectures. Noam Chomsky and other really important intellectuals have held speaches there I think. I had a totally different picture of it.

Nice pics. Thank you

//T

"Every man", he says thoughtfully, "should pull a boat over a mountain once in his life". And then, once again, he laughs at himself. (About Werner Herzog) TTL Photography (True To Life Pictures) My Zenfolio Photo site is at http://torgnydellsen.zenfolio.com/

The pictures are optimized for slideshows. The slideshow button is at the upper right. Please use your loudspeakers. There is some music, progressive music from the seventies in the different galleries.
Allagerillagallallerilly!

Last edited by Torgny; Sep 19, 2011 at 6:29 PM.
Torgny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2011, 11:07 PM   #8

NICE shots! I really like your interiors!
cmoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:50 AM   #9

Thank you, Torgny, cmoy.

I have not read Noam Chomsky's works but remember one book ("The First Word" [2008] by Christine Kenneally) saying that because of his contribution to the study of the origin of language, in particular the "universal grammar" theory that states the capability for language is hard-wired into the human brain, some think Chomsky is "a genius on a par with Einstein". The universal grammar theory, however, has had "sustained criticism since its inception" (source:wikipedia.org) and so whether it is the right one is still up in the air.

#7) The orientation of Riverside Church is different from other churches I've been to in that entrance is on the side. I was initially trying a door which I thought was the front but was locked. I was about to leave when a tour bus arrived and unloaded tourists who were then guided to the "side" entrance. I simply went in with them. One nice thing about Riverside Church is that tripods are allowed. When I asked security if I can use my tripod his response was like huh-why-couldn't-you-?. So I got to mount my tripod center aisle front and back and then on the sides.