Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:49 PM   #1

Default St Georges Bridge

I stopped on a side road at the C&D canal in Delaware yesterday morning on my way up to visit family in PA. I wish I had got there about 20 minutes earlier to get the better light, but the reflecting sunlight from the upper girders looked pretty cool. Forgive me for having so much CA but I'm still having zero luck with removing it properly.

St Georges Bridge by Quadna71, on Flickr

Last edited by Quadna71; Mar 9, 2012 at 3:37 PM.
Quadna71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:38 PM   #2

G'day Q71

Great sunset shot you've got there - nice 'coathanger' bridge too [we've got one like it too in the great land downunder]

cc if I may ... I feel that the sun is a bit 'lost' in all the bridge work - maybe if the clouds had been more sunset-prominent it could have lit up the under-bridge sky a bit more

I do like the touch of sunset reflected on the overhead steelwork - great!!
I also ponder what it would look like if the verticals were corrected ... if you have PSE, you might like to try Filter > Correct-camera-distortion to bring the verticals back to vertical

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2012, 2:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the pointers Ozzie. I tried to correct the verticals like you mentioned but I was always dealing with the lesser of two evils. If I straightened the verticals in the overhead steelwork then the lower concrete supports were way out of whack. Conversely, if straightening the bottom the top would get all screwy. Is there an accepted general rule of thumb on this?

Thanks for the advice...I'll keep trying to straighten it in PSE.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 4:13 PM   #4

G'day Q71

Using the Filter > Correct Camera Distortion is a beaut trick & fairly easy. Here's what it looks like:-

1- here's the image with the above filter opened. Note the numbers at the lower right side [minus-21 units of perspective]
I have monitored the LHS bridge support till it was vertical, also the verticals of the "coathanger" as well

ps- to alter these settings, I find the mouse a bit clumsy - so I click into the small number-box, then use the keyboard up/down arrows to alter the actual values

2- here's the image after the above straightening, then cropping using the "crop keeping original photo ratio" chosen

ps- by choosing "crop with photo ratio", PSE will automatically resize the cropped photo back to the size of the original photo

Hope this helps a bit
Regards, Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 9:23 AM   #5

That's awesome - I really appreciate you taking the time to spell it out for me.

So, I'm not saying I have it down pat completely, but here's a before and after of another shot. You can see how the horizon and sides of the docks were at opposing angles, so it took some messing around with a few settings but in the end they both aligned with the grid quite well. Now I'd like to figure out how to get the foreground stretched slightly so the first boards on the dock align horizontally. Can it do that?

The before shot (pardon the overcooked image - messing with HDR too)

Dock (distorted) by Quadna71, on Flickr

And the after shot - had to do some more cropping too to make up for the side that was all askew.

Dock (straightened) by Quadna71, on Flickr

Last edited by Quadna71; Mar 13, 2012 at 9:29 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2012, 10:46 AM   #6

Although I work in photoshop, I believe elements has a hue & saturation adjustment layer. Use that to eliminate any CA problems. For instance if you see green CA, change the master setting to green as the color, take the middle picker and sample different areas of the green CA. After doing that, slide the saturation slider to the left until it is gone. Then use the lighten slider and slide it to the left to darken the white line left behind. A word of warning. This will effect all the greens in the photograph. You will need to add a masking layer and paint the areas that require correction. This procedure will work with all CA colors. Just pick a close color from the drop down menu and follow the above instructions. I have found no other procedure that works as well as this one....
Vision of Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:20 AM   #7

Thanks VoD. That's been my method thus far too - found it on a youtube tutorial. The only problem is that when you're painting the areas slowly instead of adjusting the whole picture's saturation it can be quite the tedious task. Tedious compounded with painstaking when using a mouse as I've heard a tablet is much more efficient. I guess it's too much to ask for a button that just says "Eliminate CA"
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadna71 View Post
Thanks VoD. That's been my method thus far too - found it on a youtube tutorial. The only problem is that when you're painting the areas slowly instead of adjusting the whole picture's saturation it can be quite the tedious task. Tedious compounded with painstaking when using a mouse as I've heard a tablet is much more efficient. I guess it's too much to ask for a button that just says "Eliminate CA"
There is a quick method, however it will leave white lines where the CA was. Has that Halo effect or unsharp mask look to it. I make RAW adjustments, so it becomes less of an issue....
Vision of Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2012, 11:42 AM   #9

I'll have to stick to the slower method. I tried taking RAW images for a while, but quickly realized that my computer just isn't up to the challenge of handling that large of files. So, until I can upgrade my computer, JPEG it'll have to be.