Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Sep 3, 2012, 9:38 PM   #1

Default Some (of Many) Old Buildings in Middletown, NY

These are pictures of the old City of Middletown. When the railroad O&W (Ontario and Western) Railroad opened in 1868, many settlements along its route from New York City to Lake Ontario which borders with Canada boomed to become villages and towns.

But when O&W went bankrupt in 1957 (in no small part because of the proliferation of automobiles and interstate highways that superseded the railroad), many of the towns suffered. The City of Middletown endured because of its relative proximity to New York City. Many police officers and firefighters moved from New York City to Middletown to purchase houses that were less expensive.

#1) Located at the corner of Railroad Ave. and Cottage St., this building used to be a factory for footwear called Middletown Footwear in the 1930s. The building has long been unoccupied and it looks like it's being used now as a fish market until sold.

#2) It's rusty and weathered, but I'm guessing this mailbox by the old Middletown Footwear building is still in use. Otherwise, the Post Office with offices just a few blocks away would have removed it.

#3) For ninety-five years since 1860, Clemson Brothers was the "world's pioneer manufacturer of hack saw blades". (source: http://www.wkfinetools.com/hUS-saws/...onStory-01.asp)

#4) The sign, "Snyder Fancher Wholesale Grocers" can still be read.

#5) Intersection of two "main" streets in Middletown - North Street and East Main Street. So you can say this is the center of town.

Thank you for looking. C&C welcome. DPHDR used before Topaz Adjust, DeNoise, and Remask.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:22 AM   #2

You are a good story teller and historian. Every time I look at your pictures , I learn something about the New York area. Thank you for sharing!
Mirrorless APS-C camera: Samsung NX100, Canon EOS-M.
M4/3 systems: Olympus OM-D-E-M5 and Panasonic DMC-G3.
WCKSer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2012, 1:41 PM   #3

Thank you, WCKSer.

#6) This building on Mulberry Street -- "boring" and "no ghosts" according to two local residents who used to work there -- was a tannery in 1891. Today, it is where Classic Hosiery manufactures women's stockings and children's tights.

#7) This building, occupied by "Classy Leather Goods" in the 1940s, is now "Fort Knox Self-Storage".

#8) Not all buildings in the city of Middletown are old or for the old, however (there are several senior centers there). New establishments like this Asian fusion and Sushi Bar, "Osake"...

#9) ...and this hip hotdog joint, "Holy Dog"...

...seem to want to turn East Main Street into the town's new hot spot.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:56 PM   #4

Another great, informative series demonstrating your usual fine skills. I find myself relying on Topaz 5 a great deal.
Walter C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2012, 5:50 PM   #5

Ditto WCKSer and Walter C, always enjoy your work. Thanks for sharing.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 1:39 PM   #6

Thank you, Walter, nick1946.

#10) St. Paul's United Methodist Church on East Main Street. I didn't realize my shot was slightly off-center until I viewed the images on my computer. I was shooting from a police precinct parking lot and patrol cars were leaving the lot all the time so I was hurrying. The one parked behind me started its engine while I was shooting my bracket. I and my tripod were in its way. When I finished, I turned around to thank the cop for waiting but he was looking down and not minding me at all.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:17 PM   #7

Great pictures and nice PP.

Looks like Middletown is a nice place to photograph old buildings.

Thank you for posting.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2012, 6:44 PM   #8

Nice series vv. What a pity they didn't think of putting the power lines underground in those days!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/banksyinoz/
banksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2012, 8:16 AM   #9

Thank you, Marcelo, banksy.

Yes, I always tended to pass on Middletown in favor of Newburgh instead. I didn't realize it has so many old buildings until I started taking pictures.

There are many new establishments, too. It is actually booming, about 3.5 miles east of the city of Middletown, where the Galleria Mall complex is. Most of the popular slow-food restaurant chains and bars are there so there are other stuff to do besides visiting the "old haunts".

Banksy, yes I'd say the region suffers from the same fate of powerlines. Nearby Goshen with its many historic churches, too, has unsightly powerlines marring the facade.

#11) Morrison Hall at Orange County Community College. Donated by the Morrison family in 1950, it now houses the college's administrative offices.

#12) Middletown Fire Department.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 9:53 PM   #10

A great series, as usual. No. 5 is my favorite; I'm not sure why, but it has an emotional impact on me, a sort of nostalgia.
The Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote