Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:32 AM   #1

Default Somerville Pinoy Restaurant

For some weeks, our daughter has been inviting us to visit her at Somerville Pinoy Restaurant in Somerville, NJ where she works part-time as a waitress. So yesterday my wife and I went.

Somerville is located 40 miles west of New York City. Its downtown Main Street is home to boutiques and specialty shops that remind me of Woodstock in the Catskills. Its Main Street is also called "restaurant row" because it has "a large selection of restaurants that draw people from the surrounding area". (source: http://www.somervillenj.org/) Among those restaurants is Somerville Pinoy on Division Street off Main Street.

The portion of Division Street off Main Street was converted into a permanent pedestrian promenade in 2012. Musicians perform there on Saturday nights where people come to sit, hang out, and enjoy the free music. It has become a place for the locals to unwind and relax.

Filipino food, according to Cynthia Conshue who with husband Tyrone owns Somerville Pinoy, has had the misfortune of being misperceived as "yucky" because of the immense popularity of (or infamy if you are so inclined as to not take delight in) balut. Many Filipino restaurants' neglect of appearance and style which set mood and ambiance, where a potential diner might just as soon walk out as soon as he walks in, doesn't help. If that is all fine diners associate Filipino food with, Cynthia laments, then they are missing out on a lot of great Filipino food.

Cynthia vows to change that. At Somerville Pinoy, you can order lunch combination turo-turo style but without the food floating in grease typically found in other places. Her recipes are healthier. At night, tables are candlelit but with enough ceiling lighting to make for an inviting and—if that's what you came for—romantic meal.

Most important, the food we ordered—Tilapia Fillet and Soft Shell Crab in Garlic Sauce with Shanghai Lumpia as appetizers—did not disappoint. They were delicious. They would impress upon diners to come visit again. Our bill with Halu-halo and Turon for dessert and leafy green salads that came with the main course came out to under $40.

Visit Somerville Pinoy at 18 Division Street in Somerville, New Jersey. Our daughter will be more than happy to serve you. And bring your friends and co-workers along, too. If you're Filipino, Somerville Pinoy is a place where you can take pride in Filipino food. If you're not Filipino, and no one can blame you if you've been put off by prevailing misperceptions, Somerville Pinoy will reintroduce you and maybe even reindoctrinate you to what real Filipino food is about.

#1) Somerville Pinoy Restaurant

#2) Indoor seating.

#3) Outdoor seating.

#4) Soft Shell Crab in Garlic Sauce.

#5) Tilapia Fillet.

#6) Daughter serving mom dessert.

#1, #2, and #3 were processed with Dynamic Photo HDR.
#4, #5, and #6 were single RAW shots processed with Photomatix.
All were later enhanced by Topaz DeNoise and Topaz Adjust.

Thank you for looking! C&C welcome.
vvcarpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2013, 7:39 AM   #2

A good example of using too much wide angle: Otherwise, some nice free advertising for the Pinoy Restaurant.
100-300mm Minolta Maxxum APO Zoom
70-300 Sony apo G SSM Zoom
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2013, 8:10 AM   #3

Thank you Streets. I honestly thought wide angle was the perfect choice for architectural shots. I remember kenrockwell.com says so (http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/how-...ide-lenses.htm). Can you elaborate? I would like to know where I went wrong.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 4:46 PM   #4

NO.1 is my fave, nice uncomplicated shot with great reflections, especially of the US flag fluttering in the breeze. Job well done
Old Jun 17, 2013, 9:39 PM   #5

Thank you, DyaneG. I took several shots of the front and #1 is my daughter's favorite, too.

#7) Main Street, Somerville, NJ looking east.

#8) Halu-Halo is a favorite Filipino dessert. Instead of paying $5 for two scoops of fat I mean ice cream, you can opt for Halu-halo which is mostly water as it's shaved ice. OK, tons of sugar, too. But then, so is ice cream.

Because of its ingredients -- beans, garbanzos, palm fruit, coconut meat strands, and a whole host of other fruits boiled sweet -- halu-halo is very filling and so is not normally taken as dessert after a heavy meal. Instead, it's taken more as an afternoon snack in the hot tropical climate.

Still, just for the ube-flavor ice cream on top which you won't find anywhere else be it Baskin Robbins or Friendly's, you owe it to yourself to sample Halu-halo because otherwise you won't know what you're missing. As far as I'm concerned, ube (purple yam) is the best ice cream flavor there is.
Old Aug 31, 2013, 11:37 AM   #6

Being completely unfamiliar with Phillipine food, I can see I'm going to have to investigate further. Who'd have guessed that HDR could make food look that good?
The Barbarian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2013, 8:46 AM   #7

Location: Hebron, Kentucky (northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati):KCVG

VV: I think the wide angles would look much better if you applied some perspective correction and aligned all of the vertical lines of the buildings. It would be especially helpful in #6.

Jehan
Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:42 PM   #8

Outstanding work as always, the wide angle is the best choice for Architectural and specially interiors shots.

I had never been in Somerville NJ but your pictures make me want to go there.

Thank you for posting.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2013, 12:47 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman View Post
VV: I think the wide angles would look much better if you applied some perspective correction and aligned all of the vertical lines of the buildings. It would be especially helpful in #6.

Jehan
Jehan,

#6 is a portrait and the main focus of it are VV wife and daughter, if you apply perspective correction to this picture it is going to create a horrendous distortion on the subjects.

Provably on picture #2 I should do that or if the picture should be shoot from a lower level to obtain symmetry and perspective on the walls.

Regards.

Marcelo
MarceloLI is online now   Reply With Quote