Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Feb 23, 2004, 2:49 PM   #1

Default railway bridge

When I made these shots, the weather was not so colorful, so finally I turned everything into black and white.
Of course I also did cropping, and a slight contrast adjustment.

tonio2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Feb 24, 2004, 7:56 AM   #2

I like your bridge pictures. Duck swimming in foreground gives a good appreciation of scale. Not too many bridge photos show the prespective that you captured on the right photo. That one is excellent. You need to revisit the bridge when the sky is blue with clouds and bracket your exposure to capture more shadow detail in the left photo.
Ted
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2004, 5:03 PM   #3

Thanks Ted.

I checked the series I made, and selected another shot with less exposition. Although it doesn't help on colours, but maybe gives back a little bit more details about the sky, and the reflections. What do you think ?

tonio2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2004, 7:42 PM   #4

My preference between the two is the first one because it has more detail in the shadows. This is a difficult subject because of the range of contrast between the shadows and the sky. There is a way to combine several exposures in photoshop through layering to increase the dynamic range of the tones.

This is detailed in http://www.larry-bolch.com/layers.htm

If you get a chance to reshoot it move to the left to allow more light show through the structure and over expose a stop or two .
Also try to be there when there is more light on the dark side of bridge if possible. You want the interesting bridge structural features to be revealed more to create more viewer interest in the image.
Ted
twcoffey is offline   Reply With Quote