Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Apr 30, 2004, 7:10 PM   #1

Default Nearly Fell Over

This link goes to my other posts of the Ovaltine plant in Villa Park, IL. The B&W photo is borrowed from the Villa Park Historical Society website. I don't think they care that I show it here, I've lived in this town for nearly 50 years. At the lower left you can see the abandoned roadbed of the former Chicago Aurora and Elgin Railroad, now the Illinois Prairie Path (worthy of it's own photoalbum one day) At the top edge of the factory is the abandoned Chicago Great Western Railroad, now the Great Western Trail. The stack in the historic photo is the same one as in my current shots. The "alley" shot shows the original entrance, now glass blocked off and you can see the window treatments of the new condos inside. I was fortunate enough to see the factory from the inside during the 1960's. Sometimes the whole town smelledlike cocoa!! My shotdown the side of the building is parallel to the Prairie Path. The sun behind the stack is just a different angle from the "Alley" shot, just enough to get the sun behind the stack. This is one of my personal favorites.

http://img1.photobucket.com/albums/v...oors/Ovaltine/

I title this "Nearly Fell Over" because as I framed the shot, the clouds were moving pretty fast and made me feel like I was moving. I had to brace myself against a car to balance myself, then I had to be careful getting up! Nearly fell over.

This is the preserved smoke stack of the former Ovaltine factory in Villa Park, IL, one of only 3 originals in the world. The factory is refurburbished into nice condos and fortunately, they kept some of the best features of the building intact.
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2004, 9:45 AM   #2

Amzing that you could have a condo with this feature left intact. Do you have any shots of the condos?
Joshua B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 12:53 AM   #3

I experienced the same thing taking a shot of the St Louis Arch straight up.

http://www.pbase.com/image/26949703

Despite that I think you did a great job. Nice cloud formation and very little if any blown highlights.
selvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6, 2004, 11:19 PM   #4

Actually I do. I'll format them and post a link for you to take a look....Thx for asking.