Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old May 2, 2005, 2:36 AM   #1

I love buildings, and a lot of my favourites are obscured by street stuff, or shop stuff.

I've been fiddling around LOADS with this 'before and after ' pic (see 'before' below...),& would welcome crits on where my alterations and fiddling are too visible or false looking.

I would like to do more of this stuff in future, so crits really welcome.

Canna.

PS I took this image off a couple of time and worked on it some more! I'll leave it alone now.

Attached Images

Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2005, 2:37 AM   #2

The before version.....

Later....

P.S. Looking at them on screen, I see the first one is oof . Even with sharpening, the revision still looks a bit soft!

Later... No - with a bit more contrast/unsharp mask in places, the sharpness now looks better (I think!)

Canna

Attached Images

Old May 4, 2005, 1:53 AM   #3

I like the first one. Those darn street signs in the second shot really detract from the house. Regressive progress in my opinion.

Smile

Bill
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 3:15 PM   #4

Canna, if you need more pics to hone your skills on (plentiful skills by the way as evident by this post), here is a building pic I kinda like. I call it the Jekyll and Hyde House! Pricey real estate too - it looks over a road to the seafront at Plymouth, UK.

Attached Images

suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2005, 7:15 PM   #5

This is a great old house.... character and style. The first photo is sharper but which one is closer to the real thing?
Personally I like it with the signs and the wires and so on...it is part of the personality of the house. The "stuff" as you call it can help bring out the buildings character.
Too often people want the "perfect shot". That's a matter of personal opinion and in most cases I will vote for what is real. There are ways to highlight the house and keep the signs and wires. Try playing with just the background sky/light. I love shots of buildings too, especially those from other countries. Very interesting.
Take more please!
:|
Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2005, 7:52 AM   #6

Hiya Suze and Rose,

What INTERESTING postings.

Suze,

I just love you Jeckyll and Hyde house as it is, and think you should give it a separate posting.

What a fab contrast, and what a fab name for it too ..... Much too good to change! It really does have enormous character.

Rose,

I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiments. I really like the authenticity that 'signs of life' add to a lot of pix. It's so easy for stuff to end up looking plastic. (Big yuk!) I feel very comfortable about tarting things up / or not tarting things up though, and have no hard and fast rules about it. I'll go for it if it feelsappropriatefor a certain pic - though of course I make mistakes sometimes (well, frequently!)

I live in an old town though, whose lovelyoldhigh street buildings are buried undershop signs and advertisements which are seen everywhere, world wide.

There are indeed many exitingphotosshowing buildings with advertisements and hordings ( paintings too), but where I live we are talking Elizabethan under Kentucky Fried Chicken or Georgian under Pizza Express.Between the hordings you get glimpses of the riches that lie beneath, butfor me there isa real jarring between the buildings and the stuff they carry - or maybe that is just a personal thingI have about this sort of architecture.....

Thanksa lot though foryour very interesting comments. They really were much appreciated, and I enjoyed thinking about them.

Caroline.
Old May 25, 2005, 9:42 AM   #7

Caroline,
You are breaking my heart to say that Elizabethan and Gregorian architecture is being cover up with KFC and Pizza Hut signs. I suppose this is a "sign of our times". (pun, although bad, was intended)
Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2005, 4:12 AM   #8

mommy_culleton wrote:
Quote:
Caroline,
You are breaking my heart to say that Elizabethan and Gregorian architecture is being cover up with KFC and Pizza Hut signs. I suppose this is a "sign of our times". (pun, although bad, was intended)
Rose
Rose, there really isn't much choice if the structures are to survive - the alternative is a city centre full of once glorious, but now decaying, empty boarded up buildings. I've seen so many american cities that suffer from this fate. Personally I'd rather see a Subway in a restored georgian building than to see that buildiung torn down to build a something new.

Here in the UK though we are lucky in thatmany, many buildings are classed as "listed", leaving in placeregulations on what can be changed and how. Thisensures the buildings retain their original structure, character and charm.
suze is offline   Reply With Quote