Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jun 11, 2005, 12:27 PM   #1

I am not experienced in nightshots, but I feel I got lucky on a few, and realized that what looks dark to our eyes may not look dark to the camera. To me the sky had no blue, and I'm sure it was close to 10:00p.m. when I took this picture.

[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Daniel%20Bolton/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/2005_0610Rosefestival/2005_0610Rosefestival0116.JPG[/img]
Attached Images

MoonGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 11, 2005, 6:24 PM   #2

Good work. I agree with you too. The picture was slightly overexposed. You can probably play around with it in PS and bring it down just a little. Nice composition though
Hoooba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 8:03 AM   #3

I tried to darken another and clarify another shot of the same scene. I clipped it down to focus on the main area.I may have gone too far(I really notice a graininess now), but does it look like I'm going in the right direction?

[img]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Daniel%20Bolton/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/2005_0610Rosefestival/2005_0610Rosefestival0095.JPG[/img]
Attached Images

MoonGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 12, 2005, 11:21 AM   #4

The second edit has got a lot of noise. The levels just don't feel right. Usually this is happens when trying to edit JPEGs. I have always found nighshots to be very tricky. Usually you have to get them right the first time (IMHO). If you can go back to the location, shoot a bracketed exposure just in case. Sometimes a couple of bright spots in the scence will trick the automatic exposure, so try a really underexposed shot. If you have RAW mode then defintely use it. Don't forget to shoot at the lowest ISO and obviously use a tripod and a timed release. Good luck

I was at San Francisco in December at Alamo Square. I took twenty shots and only this one survived :-)
Attached Images

Hoooba is offline   Reply With Quote