Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jun 23, 2005, 11:50 AM   #1

Recently I had the opportunity to explore and photograph some of the 100-year-old hydro tunnels buried deep in the cliffs surrounding the Falls at Niagara.

Shot this one in an area known as the Valve Chamber - lightpainted with a 3D mag flashlight (Olympus E10...30 sec exposure).

S.K.
Attached Images

SilentKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2005, 5:58 AM   #2

Hi SK

This looksnicely Victorian underworld-ish. Very romantic when linked to the Niagara Falls! Was it part ofsome amazingly ambitious project?

Am beginning to speculate about what sort of work you do that gets you to these places....:?

Caroline.
Canna W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:23 AM   #3

Canna W wrote:
Quote:
Hi SK

This looks¬*nicely Victorian underworld-ish.¬*¬* Very romantic when linked to the Niagara Falls!¬*¬*¬* Was it part of¬*some amazingly ambitious project?¬*

¬*Am beginning to speculate about what sort of work you do that gets you to these places....:?

Caroline.
I guess its the fact that the tunnels are 100 yrs. old that gives them what you call 'victorian' era look...that's a good way of describing them.

And definitely an ambitious project, although hydro generation at Niagara is nothing new, of course. But considering the tools they had to work with at the turn-of-the-century, it was quite a laborious endeavour.

As for the work that I do, I own a photography business in the Niagara area and one of my hobbyist passions is photographing old abandoned locations (especially industrial and commercial places - the more decrepit the better).

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

S.K.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 2:17 PM   #4

SilentKnight wrote:
Quote:
As for the work that I do, I own a photography business in the Niagara area and one of my hobbyist passions is photographing old abandoned locations (especially industrial and commercial places - the more decrepit the better).
Nice that your work is also your hobby/passion. I have also had that fortune in my work and hobby. (other hobby:-)) I also find old decrepit buildings fascinating, but it does take some chutzpah to march into some of these places uninvited. I always feel as though I'm invading.

Cheers,

Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada
http://tomoverton.myphotoalbum.com
Tom Overton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2005, 3:31 PM   #5

[/quote]
Nice that your work is also your hobby/passion. I have also had that fortune in my work and hobby. (other hobby:-)) I also find old decrepit buildings fascinating, but it does take some chutzpah to march into some of these places uninvited. I always feel as though I'm invading.
[/quote]

I quite agree - sometimes it takes some nads to visit some of these places armed with just a camera and maglite. But I tend to think the photos are worth the calculated risks.

Last summer I spent the entire evening at the old abandoned Stelco plant on Barton St. in Hamilton and photographed the interiors as the sun went down. It got rather creepy after sundown - but the photos were the best I'd shot of the place (after 5-6 daylight visits).

One has to be weary of vagrants and druggies in these old abandoned places. Its always wise to scope out a location in daylight first...get a general layout of the place, before attempting to visit at night.

In the seven years I've been shootin' old abandonments, I've not had a single problem yet (knock wood), heh.

S.K.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 4:31 PM   #6

SilentKnight wrote:
Quote:
Last summer I spent the entire evening at the old abandoned Stelco plant on Barton St. in Hamilton and photographed the interiors as the sun went down. It got rather creepy after sundown - but the photos were the best I'd shot of the place (after 5-6 daylight visits).

One has to be weary of vagrants and druggies in these old abandoned places. Its always wise to scope out a location in daylight first...get a general layout of the place, before attempting to visit at night.

S.K.
[/quote]

I can't remember where, but I saw some amazing shots of Toronto's brickyards/brewery district. Now that's what I'd like to shoot.

Old Jul 13, 2005, 5:54 PM   #7

Tom Overton wrote:
Quote:
I can't remember where, but I saw some amazing shots of Toronto's brickyards/brewery district. Now that's what I'd like to shoot.

I've shot the old DV Brickyards myself last summer. Quite an amazing place. I'll post a couple shots shortly.

S.K.
Old Jul 13, 2005, 6:16 PM   #8

A few shots of the DonValley Brickyards:

S.K.

Old Jul 13, 2005, 8:41 PM   #9

Thanks S.K. Nice shots. The first is really neat. Maybe I'll try to get down there myself this summer. (just give me directions to your house. he he he :G)

Regards,