Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Sep 15, 2005, 3:28 AM   #1

The Lunt Roman Fort. Reconstruction on the original site, circa AD60.

Eastern entrance from the inside :

The Granary is one of three that would have been at afort this size, keeping around 600 soldiers in food for one year. The only building built on legs, to keep the rats out, and along with louvre windows to keep the supplies from damp.

The Granary:

This is a training ring called a Gyrus. Roman soldiers would exercise and do weapons training along with training/breaking in horses that were the fruits of their battle victories.

The Gyrus :

Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2005, 5:48 AM   #2

Cool! (I really miss "Time Team" now!)
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2005, 1:19 PM   #3

Thanks Tom.

I find the older I become the more I'm interested in, what I should have been interested in, when I was younger :?.

I can't helpimagining Baldrick whenever I see Tony Robinson though :-)

Knock yourself out Tom.

Old Sep 16, 2005, 6:17 AM   #4

I guess history becomes more interesting when we have someof our own. In school, it wasn't my favorite subject, but now at 43 and almost 42 years old respectively, my wife and I have become history buffs.

History International was showing "Time Team" episodes every Sunday from 7-8 PM for a while, then they suddenly started showing some other thing instead... though they did show the Thetford episode a dozen or so times, every now and then they would have something new... here in the U.S., we just don't have ancient Roman mosaic floors three feet under our gardens or cathedral foundations under farm fields. (There was a Time Team episode shot in the US, and I remember the guys and Carenza were put off by having to hand dig and screen everything because something like 80% of artifacts here are in the upper 12 inches of soil.) Where I live, we might find musket balls and arrowheads and things like that (Monroe, MI was the site of the "Battle of the River Raisin" in the War of 1812), but most of what was built in what we would call "ancient days" was built of wood.

I still find myself looking for "parch patterns" in TerraServer images. Not too long ago, I was able to help a webmasterpin downthe location of an old drive-in movie theater near Monroe; the former parking lot is now the driving range of a golf course. And my neighbor's lawn has the distinctive "parch pattern" of a driveway that used to go to a house that no longer stands. But those only go back 30-50 years.

Every time I think archaeological thoughts, I "hear" them in Phil Harding's voice!
Tom LaPrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 8:12 AM   #5

Thanks for sharing the shots and the history! Fascinating on both parts. And yes, our history here in the Americas is interesting but when you get into ancient history and see things from 2,000 years ago, it just boggles the mind!

My sister visited Greece and Egypt last year . The photos and the history she brought back are amazing.

The one thing about Canadian history is that it's easier for us to relate to. My husbands roots can be traced to Louis Reil, fur traders, lumberjacks and natives. It's all very interesting. Perhaps I can try to find photos of Canadian history to share. (he's a lumberjack and he's o.k....)

Anyway, great shots and great lessons!

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2005, 10:43 AM   #6

Thank you Rose, and it would be interesting to see some history from your part of the world.

Of course for us Brits, the Monty Python crew brought Lumberjacks to the fore, and I would find it very interesting to see if they were all into cross dressing :blah:.

BTW, thanks for deleting my 'test' post.

Steve.
Old Oct 4, 2005, 1:14 PM   #7

I'm sure some of them were......awfull lonely living in the bush for 6 months at a time.:roll:.

My daughter took her scanner with her to universtiy so I can't post the old shots I have of the lumber camps and the men riding the logs down the river. I'll do my best to post something though.

Rose
mommy_culleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2008, 3:46 PM   #8

Nice shots and thanks for the history lesson as well
Caryl
carylwithay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 2:12 AM   #9

Upon reading your words above I recalledsome saying about archeology'the future is fixed, it is thepast which often changes': ) In fact, my interest in historyawoke with our family trips to castles, temples and ancient settlements around where I live before I went to school (and thenslumbred for some time thanks to the curriculum!!) Now I see that there's almost nothing undiscussed under this sun during antiquity!

Inspiring imagesThese reconstructions are quite essential works for people!

bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote