Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Post Your Photos > Architectural Photos

Old Jan 18, 2006, 1:37 AM   #1

I don't know what is happening elsewhere in the world but in some Australian states (Not mine yet) things are becoming ridiculous. I read recently that parents in one town were banned from taking photos of their own children at nippers (surf lifesaving club for kids) in case it attracted or could be used for pedophilia,now this:roll:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-28793,00.html

Im wondering where else around the world has such pathetic rules?

aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 18, 2006, 4:59 AM   #2

It's going crazy up-and-over here in the UK too.

Laws just aren't as generalised as elsewhere it seems. My older kid's school have banned all taking of photographs by parents on any school occasion. However, a teacher recently convicted of downloading peadophile images is to return to the school to continue teaching!!

There are loads of stories in the British photography magazines of late about photogs experiences of being assualted, hassled, arrested, etc.

The world has gone crazy.

Would be great if we could get together an International Photographers Code of Practise/etiquette together, that we could follow, knowing that so long as we stick to it, then we should not be a threat to anyone.

Regards,

ISoS
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 6:51 PM   #3

In search of Syd wrote:
Quote:
It's going crazy up-and-over here in the UK too.

Laws just aren't as generalised as elsewhere it seems. My older kid's school have banned all taking of photographs by parents on any school occasion. However, a teacher recently convicted of downloading peadophile images is to return to the school to continue teaching!!

from a country that bars people from defending themselves from criminal attack and jails - or allows the felons to sue - the victims for fighting back, this doesn't surprise me in the least...
squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 7:09 PM   #4

I totally agree, and it gets worse . . .
In search of Syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2006, 9:52 PM   #5

It is yet to get worse!
Aumma45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2006, 8:19 AM   #6

Sounds like we need some modern-day Thomas Jeffersons. Perhaps a revolt is in order?
logrhythmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2006, 12:14 PM   #7

logrhythmic wrote:
Quote:
Sounds like we need some modern-day Thomas Jeffersons. Perhaps a revolt is in order?
yeah, and that's just in this country! imagine what they need in England!

squirl033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 2:35 PM   #8

Isn't the freedom to walk around, talk about whatever you please and take pictures in public exactly what we thought democracy and freedom are about? Isn't it the ability to enjoy this freedom exactly why we don't want the terrorists to win? If we are stripped of these freedoms, why worry if the terrorists win or not? We lose our freedom either way.

As far as the pedophilia thing goes, our city also has an unofficial policy of not allowing photos of kids in city owned facilities. While not a law, people in charge of these facilities are to ask people not to take photos. I don't know how much that is enforced.

The idea that taking pictures of kids playing sports and being out in public somehow promotes pedophilia demonstrates a complete lack of understanding over why we want to protect our kids and from what. It is the fact that kids are being forced to do abhorent acts to satisfy these monsters that makes it criminal. Whether someone participates actively or passively by creating and supporting a market for photos and videos, it is a clearly something we cannot allow.

But if all pedophiles actually did is look a pictures of kids playing sports, never touching them, never putting them in dangerous situations, never doing anything that a parent would be at all concerned about, who cares what they look at? I would be more concerned about advertisements showing kids in their underwear - there is even the odd commercial for diapers that shows a bare bottom - than a parent taking a picture of their child in a public setting. (Not that I am concerned about these.)

I think one could make an argument that if taking pictures of kids in public somehow encourages pedophilia, so does letting them be seen in public. Maybe we should make all kids wear burkas or never let them out in the first place.

Kevin
klfatcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2006, 4:47 PM   #9

i know this is nowt to do with photography but on the same lines as daft laws, but anyone who has played conkers with their friends at school will know how daft this is. conkers are not to be brought,played at school in the uk as it is banned , some kid got injured and they have banned it some people have got nowt better to do than to spoil kids fun, conkers has been played for generations its hard enough been a kid these days without stupid laws stopping fun just thought id share
godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2006, 10:53 AM   #10

i am not surprised conkers are banned, it can be very dangerous. whatever happened to good old fashioned marbles?
Quintessential Moments is offline   Reply With Quote