And here's the old School building...
Attached Images

Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:03 AM   #13

Old School building (detail)
Attached Images

Old Mar 5, 2006, 12:16 AM   #14

The Old House (original). You can see that I cropped and straighten the image when I first posted. Virginia City has an interesting history. During the gold rush, dozens of mines were built in the area. Today, if it wasn't for the turism, I'd say it would be close to a ghost town. Many building are abandoned and the ones that are not, are in a very sad shape. The old house is attached to a factory (I don't know what they produce there)which appears to be active.
Attached Images

Old Mar 5, 2006, 3:40 AM   #15

Thanx, Tullio. Very delighted to see the originals. Some,for example, old school building I found superior than its cropping. Some images just can't stand tight croppings, but needs some surrounding to survive. As some wiseman had suggested (I believe it was Marx); a being whose nature does not exist out of itself, is not a natural being, and thus not a real thing, but an illusion...
By the way I was amazed seeing the traffic lights for a town of 600 people(almost a ghost town as you said) :G
I had thought that such crazy things always occured around my territory since I saw your picture. Please remember that you may send some originals to my gmail(lordofbabel) either, when you think too many or irrelevant to post to the forum. I am a real person with a real name after all!!:-)
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 5, 2006, 9:51 AM   #16

Hi bahadir, after reading your comments about the School pictures, I went back and analyzed the the two versions posted (cropped and un-cropped) and I totally agree with you. Tight cropping can be very effective to show details that otherwise would be missed or go undetected. In this case, the building does need some surroundings to give the viwer an idea of where it stands. Perhaps I should havesteppe back even further before taking the picture (that's my assignement for next visit to VC).Thanks for pointing that out and for your constructive comments. I do appreciate them. I got your email and will be glad to send you some of my photos that for one reason or another don't make itto the forums.
Old Mar 5, 2006, 2:44 PM   #17

My pleasure..:-)
bahadir is offline   Reply With Quote